September 25, 2012

SHORT 'N' SWEET: 3 Book Reviews


Giving Up the Ghost by Eric Nuzum

I initially thought this was going to be more of a ghost story than it was, but it was still an interesting story.  I think it should be marketed differently, however, because it is actually more about Nuzum's life in general at that time, including girls, music, and even more about mental health.  Yes, there is definitely a lot about the little girl who haunts Nuzum, but I just thought that was the main focus.  Read this description and tell me what you think: Goodreads.  So, it is not exactly what I was expecting, but it was still a good story about depression, hallucinations, crazy friends, and a haunting.  I think I would have liked it better if I had known more what to expect, though.

3 STARS



Hush Hush: The Graphic Novel by Becca Fitzpatrick

If you pick up this book believing it will be a graphic-version of the novel, you would be wrong.  That is what I did and I was wrong.  It is not the same story and it was actually kind of lame.  It did not even have any kind of succinct ending.  It just ended as if in the middle of a thought.  I picked it up thinking I could get a recap of the novel before I read the 2nd in the series, but instead I need to go ahead and read the 1st novel again anyway because this did not help me.  Bummer!  There was a short story  in the back of the book that is supposed to be an original story about the same characters but I did not read that part, I confess.  I was already disillusioned by my expectations and was ready to move on.

2 STARS


One for the Money (Stephanie Plum #1) by Janet Evanovich

I really liked this quirky little bounty hunter story.  I think Stephanie Plum has a low-IQ but maybe that is just because she is very spacey.  There are some very witty and funny moments in the book, which I appreciated.  I think Evanovich tells more than shows, which I don't appreciate.  It is like reading a laundry list of descriptive terms.  I think the characters are entertaining and have distinct personalities.  I wish that there was a deeper side to Stephanie, but maybe it will come in the next book or two.

3 STARS 

4 comments:

  1. The next Stephanie Plum books are a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie is good for a fast escapist read :) Love them! The 19th comes out in November I believe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie is a selfish brat and the fact she is still in a love triangle by book 18 is annoying. I actually love the series more for the support characters these days as they are hilarious! The books are fun quick reads though and good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished book 2 and have decided I do not like Stephanie and I would never be friends with her in real life. I think Morelli and Grandma Mazur make the whole book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!