June 11, 2012

The Dowry Bride by Shobhan Bantwal

I picked up this book because  I really liked Bantwal's book, The Unexpected Son.  Unfortunately, this story was very slow after the initial hook.  Megha Ramnath, married just over a year, awoke and found her husband missing.   She finally found him, along with her mother-in-law, out in the shed.  She overhears their voices.  They are plotting her murder for that very night because her father has not paid her dowry.  So Megha runs away.  She finds refuge with the only person she can trust, her husband's brother, Kiran, but fear still haunts her every moment.  Will they find her?  What will happen to her?

The premise is very exciting and the first few chapters were terribly engaging.  Like I said, however, the story slows down to such a crawl that I found myself avoiding the book rather than jonesing to pick it up again.   I have decided there are too many other books out there that will hold my interest to keep trying with this one.



2 comments:

  1. bermudaonion (Kathy)June 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM

    That does sound like an exciting premise - too bad the book doesn't live up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This happens with books so often for me lately. I agree-there has to be better books out there.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!