April 27, 2012

Mercury by Hope Larson

Mercury is a graphic novel that tells the story of two generations of Fraser girls - except Josey is in 1859 and Tara is 150 years later in 2009.

This story of magical realism and history takes place in Nova Scotia, where Josey is falling in love with a mysterious young man named Asa Curry who has just come wandering onto her father's farm looking for gold.  Tara, in contrast, is dealing with going back to school after her house burns down and being homeschooled.  However, as Josey's tale takes a turn for sadness, Tara's takes on hope.

I wanted to like this story, especially since it came so highly recommended, but I found it kind of fell flat to me. I liked the magical realism, I liked the intertwining stories of the same blood line, and I liked that one started happy and ended with tragedy, while the other one began with tragedy and ended happily, and I enjoyed the artwork.

However, I wanted much more from the ending.  I felt a flat ending coming on about 30 pages beforehand.  I knew unless there was an unexpected ending that not much was going to happen.  In my opinion, it is because right in the cover flap it tells the reader how both stories end - one in hope and one in tragedy.  So there was nothing much to look forward to in the story.

A lot of people really liked this one, but I am going to have to only give it 2.5 stars, as it almost seems like it was a waste of time.

Have you read Mercury?  What did you think?   And does anyone know why it is called Mercury?  I know another name for the element mercury is quicksilver, but what does that have to do with gold?  What am I missing here lol?

5 comments:

  1. bermudaonion (Kathy)April 27, 2012 at 4:08 PM

    Sorry you didn't love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually go for magical realism, but I don't know about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, it was okay, but it could have used a much better ending.  I just felt it lacked so much and it had so much potential, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too bad it fell flat. It does sound promising. But magic realism can be really hard to pull off and make work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!