January 1, 2012

TSS: The Books That Got Me Hooked


I was thinking a good way to bring in 2012 and my New Year of Reading Resolutions is to reminisce about the books that got me hooked on reading!


THE BOOK I FIRST READ OVER AND OVER AGAIN AND GOT ME HOOKED ON READING AS A YOUNG CHILD:

Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever


THE FIRST SERIES I FELL IN LOVE WITH:

The Babysitter's Club Series by Ann M. Martin


THE BOOKS THAT MADE ME REALIZE BOOKS WERE NOT JUST ABOUT ENTERTAINMENT BUT COULD PROVIDE A MESSAGE:

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss


THE BOOK THAT GOT ME HOOKED ON READING AGAIN AFTER I LOST THE LOVE IN HIGH SCHOOL (reading nothing but books you don't want to or like can do that to a person):

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver


THE BOOKS THAT GOT ME HOOKED ON HISTORICAL FICTION:

The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
(also made me fall in love with Ancient Egypt)


The Constant Princess by Philippa Gregory


THE BOOK THAT GOT ME HOOKED ON YA AS AN ADULT:

Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment by James Patterson

The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams

Uglies by Scott Westerfield


THE BOOK THAT GOT ME HOOKED ON THE CLASSICS:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald


WHY I AM A JANE-ITE:

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen


THE BOOKS THAT GOT ME SEEKING OUT MEMOIRS:

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls


THE BOOKS THAT GOT ME HOOKED ON READING ABOUT OTHER CULTURES:

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale by Donna Jo Napoli


THE BOOKS THAT GOT ME HOOKED ON READING BANNED BOOKS (and, subsequently, telling people who ban books where they can shove their bans):

The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau


Did any of these books get you hooked on reading, too? What are some of the books that did? I would love to hear about them!

9 comments:

  1. The Chosen One, Uglies, the Bluest Eye, and A Thousand Splendid Suns are my favorites on your list. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bermudaonion (Kathy)January 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

    Great list of books.  It's amazing how much books can move you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book that got me hooked on romances was Stranger In My Arms by Lisa Kleypas. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this! I avoided losing my love of reading in high school because I was a delinquent. I used to skip school and go to the library and read. Seriously ... what a nerd. Who cuts school to go to the library? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried to read "Eat Pray Love" but couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will forgive the Phillipa Gregory inclusion because I agree with pretty much the rest of your picks. All good choices!

    Babysitters club how can you top that being a tween at the end of the 80's early 90's.

    Diary of Anne Frank I remember changed my bubble gum, rose coloured glassed view of the World Wars. I have since read many more stories from that time but that one always gets me. One day I would like to visit the place where she lived in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I love that. I have to say that's the first time I have heard that reason for skipping school! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That seems to be the reaction- either can't get enough of it or can't get into it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!