December 22, 2011

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

This was my third book by Michelle Moran even though it was her first book. I read her second and third books, The Heretic Queen and Cleopatra's Daughter, respectively, first. But loving them the way I do I had to be sure and read Nefertiti, too. I wasn't disappointed.

Nefertiti is, of course, about the Egyptian Queen, but it's also about her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, whom her sister lovingly calls "Mutny." Nefertiti is married to Amunhotep who is the next in line to be Pharaoh. It is hoped by all that her strong personality will rein in Amunhotep's heretical desire to abandon Egypt's ancient gods and introduce a new, unknown sun god, Aten, for his people to worship. However, in order to make Amunhotep desire her and need her above his first wife, Kiya, especially since she has yet to produce a son as Kiya has, Nefertiti plays along with Amunhotep and helps him to create a new religion to Aten. Mutny disapproves and tries desperately to keep her sister and the Pharaoh from letting things get too out of control- before disaster strikes and the people of Egypt rebel.

I really loved the way Moran told the sisters stories. Mutny was actually more interesting to me than Nefertiti because Mutny was so multi-layered. Perhaps because the story was told from Mutny's perspective. However, I think I do like the perspective Moran takes in her next books where she tells the story from the perspective of the queen. Nevertheless just like the other two books this one was compelling and entertaining and I couldn't stop turning the pages.


RATING: ****

6 comments:

  1. Gaaah, I can't believe I haven't read a Moran book yet! I never hear anything but positive reviews on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't read much historical fiction, but have heard so much about Moran's work, I really want to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of her books waiting to be read. It's quite long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also loved Nefertiti! In a couple of months I will be able too read The Heretic Queen with my book club and I'm looking forward to that too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I am giving away a copy of Madame Tussaud if you don't have that one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to read this. I loved Madame Tussaud and want to read more of Moran's stuff. Now I REALLY want to read this :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!