December 6, 2011

Invitation to My Fictional Character Dinner Party


Smash of Smash Attack Reads! gave me food for thought when she asked the question on her Goodreads profile, "Who would you invite to dinner (dead/alive/fictional) and why?" Well, it took me a few minutes to figure that out because I thought up an entire dinner party! So I decided to expand on that question and invite an entire dinner party of fictional characters right here on my blog. I invite you to my Fictional Character Dinner Party!

The ideal dinner party, in my opinion, is about 8 people. That is enough to keep the conversation from lulls and not so many that everyone cannot participate in the same conversations. So here are the seven I would invite to join me:

(I love historical fiction but obviously, technically, the characters are only partially fictional, so I didn't include any of them here.)

NAME: Nurdane
BOOK WHERE WE MET: The Virgin's Knot by Holly Payne
QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:
"What do you wish other people knew about what living with polio is like?"
"Why did you make the choice you did at the end of the story?"


NAME: Chiyo/Sayuri
BOOK WHERE WE MET: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:
"What emotions were you feeling when Mameha negotiated the biddings for your mizuage (virginity)?"


NAME: Nathan Price
BOOK WHERE WE MET: The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:
"Would you still take your family to the Congo as missionaries if you had a do-over?"
"Do you blame yourself for what happened?"


NAME: Saira Qader
BOOK WHERE WE MET: The Writing on My Forehead by Nafisa Haji
QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:
"What would you like to tell others about embracing their family's culture versus shunning it?"


NAME: Peter Brown
BOOK WHERE WE MET: Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell
QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:
"Tell me everything. In a slightly mysterious way."


NAME: Lisbeth Salander
BOOK WHERE WE MET: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:
"Do you feel vindicated after what happened with your guardian? What about with your father?"
"Tell me something about your relationship with Mikhail that isn't shown in the books?"


NAME: Maximum Ride
BOOK WHERE WE MET: When the Wind Blows and then again in The Angel Experiment both by James Patterson (two slightly different tales with same character, which is why I include both here)
QUESTIONS I WOULD LIKE TO ASK:
"Will you and the flock take me flying? I want to experience what you describe in the book when you take flight."




Who would you invite to your fictional character dinner party???

2 comments:

  1. This is a fun idea! I like the idea of inviting Lisbeth Salander to a dinner party--she'd be fun even though she's super anti-social.

    I'd invite Mikhail, especially as played by Daniel Craig. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I agree with Heidenkind I would invite those two. But I would have to think longer about the others. Probably Vimes from Terry Pratchetts Discworld series (oh hell virtually all the characters from there I would invite). Katniss from HUnger Games, Harry Dresden, er running out of steam now. They are the main ones leaping from my mind Oh this will sound terrible but the lady from Potato Peel Pie Society (thats the shortened version) oh my mind has deserted me tonight. Thats it thats all I can think of at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!