October 23, 2011

TSS: Multiple Intelligences

A book I read in college and read more of again recently is Howard Gardner' Multiple Intelligences. This is a book that should be read by every educator, as well as anyone deeply interested in the different ways people learn. It does lean towards the more academic type of read, which is why I rate this at four stars and not five stars, because the idea and theory is a brilliant five star concept.


Gardner identifies and explains his theory of 8 distinct intelligences that can maximize learning for each child and he breaks down how professionals who work with children can use this knowledge to reach children. There is not just one way no matter what you were taught growing up! Every single person has a type (or 2 or 3) of intelligence that they succeed in most and which should be nurtured in order to maximize the person's potential.

I found my own multiple intelligences- Linguistic Intelligence (imagine that!) and Interpersonal Intelligence (people smart). These make me a better teacher, actually. These are not my only skills, of course, these are just how I learn and absorb knowledge the best. These are my highest skill sets.

The other six are Musical Intelligence , Intropersonal (Self Smart), Naturalist (Nature Smart), Logical/Mathematical (I may have missed this gift altogether, haha!), Visual/Spatial Intelligence (good with pictures and visualizing), and Body-Kinesthetic Intelligence.

What do you think your specific learning styles are? How do you use your intelligences in your life? Tell me in the comments!


6 comments:

  1. Oh, interesting. I think I have a vague notion of different types of intelligences, but I've never considered them in ways of interacting with other people. It's interesting as I wouldn't say someone is "music intelligent." I'd just say the person was a great musician :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I'd be Logical/Mathematical or Visual/Spatial, but I bet I feel into one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read some great things about this book and Gardner's theory but I still haven't read it. I really need to change that. I'm a visual-auditory-kinesthetic learner. If I'm learning something visually and I'm not getting it, I know I need to change to one of the other two. Great Sunday Salon topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm not Musically intelligent!

    I suppose I lean towards Linguistic and Logical/Mathematical Intelligence. I'd be interested to see the different approaches to teaching they suggest for each intelligence type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just won a grant to buy Play-Doh for my first graders based on Gardner's Multiple Intelligences! Maybe I should check out the book...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book years ago, when I started homeschooling, and I liked it. The author also had some interesting things to say about the limitations of testing and evaluation, of I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!