August 17, 2011

Quick Question Wednesday #2


I thought it would be fun to create some posts where I ask you lovely readers about bookish topics or movie topics and you reply in the comments, just as a fun way to discuss interesting topics.

Today I would like to ask:

We have all done the what 5 books would you take to a desert island question. But I would like to play off of that and ask what 5 non-fiction books that you've never read would you select (and NO selecting books on how to build a raft from sand or cooking coconuts 345 different ways, you cheaters. Something different than survival books!)

My 5 books would be:

1. Turn Left at Orion: A Hundred Night Sky Objects to See in a Small Telescope- and How to Find Them by Guy Consolmagno (I may not have a telescope, sure, but there will still be stuff in there I can find with the naked eye!)

2. The Pain Survival Guide: How to Reclaim Your Life by Dennis C. Turk (I figure I am going to need a fibromyalgia book! lol)





So what would be your 5 books? Remember: 1) you've never read them and, 2) no survival manuals!

10 comments:

  1. What a fabulous question.

    My first book would have to be Long Way Down by Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman. 2) Treasure Islands by Pamela Stephenson.3) The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. 4) The Suspicions of Mr Whicher and finally The Bolter by Frances Osborne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five non-fiction books I've never read - one would be A Flora and Fauna guide to wherever the island is - so I can identify all of the species.

    I read a lot of non-fiction, but one I've never read past the first chapter is Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time - if I'm stuck on a desert island I may actually get round to reading it!

    Darwin's classic book On the Origin of Species ought to be on my list, too. Another one I keep meaning to read.

    And a book on Yoga and Meditation.

    Can I have the complete Encyclopaedia Britannica? It would keep me going quite a while (and could use it to build a small shelter out of, too).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a tough question for me since most of my non-fiction reading consists of memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a hard question because I don't read a lot of non-fiction books. I guess I would go with Casanova's autobiography (unabridged), Arcana Mundi by Georg Luck, The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud, The Lives of the Artists by Vasari, and A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Or The Symposium by Plato.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know...I'd have to stare at the shelves for awhile. But I do know I'd go for the books that were really, really thick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bill Clinton's My Life, George Bush's Decision Points, Mariane Pearl's A Mighty Heart, something by Bill Bryson and Sir Alex Ferguson's autobiography

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't know if I can come up with five but for sure I would include:

    The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
    Ladies & Gentlemen, The Bronx Is Burning
    In Cold Blood
    Professor & The Madman
    West With The Night

    Okay, I guess there are at least 5 non-fiction books I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dunno to be honest. I dont know particular names so I will just go with themes.

    1.Dinosaurs
    2.Astronomy/Star Gazing
    3.Botony
    4.Archeology particularly Mayans or Egyptians
    5.A travel book by Polly Evans she is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm...interesting question. My list would be:

    Bonk by Mary Roach (the only one I have left to read by her)

    A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

    Touching the Void by Joe Simpson

    The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua (almost a cheat because I'm starting this tomorrow)

    The People's History of the United States by ??? Zinn (Forgot the first name and the title may be off too).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great question! I posted my response here:
    http://paperbackpirate.blogspot.com/2011/09/5-books-i-would-take-to-desert-island.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!