May 23, 2011

20 Questions with Anna of Diary of an Eccentric!

20 Questions is a feature I came up with last year that allows us to get to know other book bloggers better. It's been a while since the last 20 Questions post, but Anna, of the blog Diary of an Eccentric, has been awesome enough to start it off again!

After reading Anna's answers to the 20 Questions, please leave a comment letting Anna and I know you were here. If you would also like to ask Anna a question, please feel free to do so in the comments section.



20 QUESTIONS

1. MY EARLIEST MEMORY OF READING:
When I was about 5 or 6, my friend's mother took us to the library and let us run wild. I took out so many books, I needed both my friend and her mom to help me bring them into the house. I guess my book addiction started early. :)


2. THE FIRST BOOK I READ OVER AND OVER:
I don't remember re-reading books as a child, but my daughter's favorite book when she was a toddler was Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boyton. She made me read it over and over so many times, I could recite it from memory.


3. A CHILDREN’S BOOK EVERY CHILD SHOULD READ:
It's a toss up: Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery or Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. I loved them both.


4. THE BOOK I HAVE RE-READ THE MOST TIMES:
The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan. I read it once on my own and twice for different college courses.

5. MY FAVORITE PLACE TO READ:
On the train/subway/bus during my work commute, which is 2 hours one way. It passes the time, and if it's an especially good book, it helps me block out the noise of the people who insist I need to hear their music from across the aisle.


6. MY MUST-HAVE READING ACCESSORIES:
I'm a cheap date. I only need a bookmark. :)


7. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS I OWN (YOU CAN GUESS):
I have so many I don't even want to venture a guess. I've been a book hoarder since college. But I'm getting better at finding new homes for books I know I'll never read again. It still hurts to part with them, though.


8. MY BOOKSHELVES ARE:
Straining under the weight of my addiction!

9. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST (THAT I HAVE NOT AQUIRED YET):
More than I could read in a lifetime.


10. THE WAY I KEEP TRACK OF BOOKS I WANT TO READ:
I use Goodreads and LibraryThing to keep track of books I own or have read. If they're books I want to read but don't have in my possession, I just jot the titles down on a piece of paper that I leave on my desk for that purpose.


11. THE LAST BOOK I RECEIVED/BOUGHT:
My husband had me order a couple of books for my Easter gift. I chose Jane Austen's Letters edited by Deirdre Le Faye and Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada.


12. A BOOK THAT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE IN SOME WAY:
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I always have been interested in WWII literature, but that book jump-started my obsession.


13. A BOOK I LIKE THAT NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO:
Recently, I saw several tepid reviews for The Matchmaker of Kenmare by Frank Delaney, but I absolutely loved it!


14. A BOOK I DON’T LIKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE:
Follow Me by Joanna Scott. I read it for a book tour awhile back, and it seemed like all the reviews were really positive. I thought Scott's writing itself was good, but the plot was boring.


15. A BOOK THAT INTIMIDATES ME:
Any of the Russian classics. I tried reading The Brothers Karamazov, and I gave up after 60 torturous pages.


16. IF I COULD GO TO ANY LITERARY DESTINATION I WOULD CHOOSE:
Bath, where Persuasion (my favorite book) takes place. And Hogwarts because that place is wicked cool!


17. THREE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS:
Jane Austen, Amy Tan, Tim O'Brien


18. I HAVE BEEN BLOGGING ABOUT BOOKS SINCE:
June 2007


19. MY BOOK BLOG STANDS OUT FROM THE CROWD BECAUSE:
Does it? I have no idea. Maybe because I read an odd combination of WWII/Holocaust books and Jane Austen variations.

20. THREE BOOK BLOGGERS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FEATURED IN THE FUTURE:

Audra -- Unabridged Chick: http://unabridged-expression.blogspot.com/

Books are my Boyfriends: http://booksaremyboyfriends.wordpress.com/

Lieder Madchen -- Songs and Stories: http://liedermadchen.blogspot.com/

----------------------------------------------------
Thank you for participating, Anna! I enjoyed reading your answers! I have more books on my TBR list than I could read in a lifetime, too. Plus, you have given me three unfamiliar blogs to check out! Awesome!

Be sure to leave a comment for Anna, too!

23 comments:

  1. Thanks for asking me to participate! I really enjoyed answering your questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great set of questions..which I think have changed since I answered them -- at least a little bit.

    You do have an odd combo of books reviewed on the blog, but I like it.

    What do you mean Russian classics are tortuous?! LOL

    I've always thought about counting the # of books I have in my house, but I shy away from it when I actually start looking around at the shelves and stacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! Your answer to #19 is spot on. I DO think of you as the WWII and Jane Austen blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna, thanks for answering the questions and my comment is that I thought everyone had more books than they could possibly read...don't they?? LOL

    Enjoyed it and always love your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing at Care's answer because that is exactly what I was going to say. You are my WWII soul sister, and The Book Thief is absolutely worthy of starting your obsession. I wanted to eat that book with whipped cream on top. (I hope you love Every Man Dies Alone...just read the last hundred pages in a private place.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to know you better :D
    And yes when I think of your blog I always think War and Jane Austen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful interview with Anna! I enjoyed the questions and answers; both are down-to-earth and clearly expressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to learn more about you Anna! The literary destinations I most want to go to are also Bath and Hogwarts, and Persuasion is my favorite Austen book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to meet you, Anna. I must check out your blog. I'm currently walking (one day a month) to Bath along the Cotswold Way with my bookclub (we pass the halfway mark next walk, only 55 miles to go!)

    I haven't tried to read the Brothers Karamazov, but you might get on better with Anna Karenina (most chapters are only two or three pages long) even though there are rather a lot of them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great answers.

    We used to read Barnyard Dance all the time too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't bame you on the Russian classics, eventhough I always intend to read them, I'm a little scared.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Brothers Karamazov intimidates me too (Tolstoy is much better in my opinion than Dostoevsky - though I haven't finished any of the latter's books).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reading War and Peace and have fallen so behind, but I just can't get into it!! My shelves groan too!! I love Charlotte's Web..that is the book that changed my reading life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great questions - and answers!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome questions Lost in Books, super answers Anna. And thank you so much for the Books are my Boyfriends shout out, blog and I are very appreciative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Serena: It might be an odd combo, but I enjoy it. You know exactly what I'm talking about because The Brothers Karamazov was your book club pick! ;)

    @Care: Wow, I honestly didn't think of my blog like that until the question forced me to think about it. I think it's a good thing, though. :)

    @Kay: I figured my book blog buddies would be in the same boat and would understand my book addiction!

    @Sandy: You're right, we are WWII soul sisters. I take your book suggestions seriously in that regard. I guess that's a pretty dark book, huh?

    @Blodeuedd: I guess over time, it's easy for us to see what other bloggers like best in terms of genres.

    @Suko: Thanks so much!

    @Space Station Mir: Another Persuasion lover. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Tracy: I've always wanted to read Anna Karenina. Glad to hear it's easier to digest. Off to check out your blog!

    @carolsnotebook: Thanks! It is a great book...even after reading it a bazillion times!

    @Ryan G: I know I shouldn't let one bad experience turn me off of them for good, but...

    @Alyce: It seemed like it was going to be so exciting, patricide and all that. But it was incredibly boring. I don't know how I even made it to page 60!

    @Staci: Charlotte's Web is awesome! I remember being in 3rd grade, the teacher read it aloud to us, and many of us cried at the end.

    @Lisa: Thanks!

    @booksaremyboyfriends: You're very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anna, I agreed about Follow Me, when I reviewed it before the tour. And a two-hour commute--wow, you're tougher than I am. Although driving is harder than getting to read and ride.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Jeanne: Well, if everything is on time, it actually goes by pretty fast. I don't think I'd read nearly as much if I spent all that time stuck in traffic and got home just in time for dinner and bed. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who didn't care for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to say I almost spit up my coffee laughing when I read the answer to #16: Bath! And of course, #19 is part of the humor! I love the combo of your blog! And I love when you throw in reviews by The Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @rhapsody: Thanks! My reading tastes are a bit eccentric when combined. ;) Glad you enjoy The Girl's reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm just sad that for the second time our book club ended. I had no idea that Brothers Karamazov could end a book club, but now I know. I could have totally picked another book since we all agreed that it sucked!

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Serena: It wasn't your fault it ended. I was okay having a meeting about the book and discussing why I couldn't finish it, just like you did for the first book we read! Seems like our book clubs disband before I get my turn to pick the book. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!