December 31, 2010

Wrapping It Up in a Neat Red Bow: 2010


My reading in 2010 took a huge nose dive when I went back to school in August, but really if reading books for fun has to decline, what better reason than because I am going back to school? I read tons of sociology articles so that counts for something. Something. :)

I have the GRE scheduled for February 19th so please say prayers, attend pujas, align the stars for me - I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET- I suck at math. Hard.

But I digress. Back to the book reading. I read 60 out of the 100+ goal I had set for myself this year. I finished 5 of my 25 challenges, although I was one book away from finishing a couple of them. But I promised myself back in January that I would use the challenges more to expand my horizons than to meet a goal. So I am not concerned with not finishing more challenges. If I were, I wouldn't have signed up for so many! I didn't even do well in my own challenge, the Colorful Reading Challenge. Oy vey. I don't think I will be doing it again next year. If you would like to take over this challenge for me, I would be delighted for my hands will be full with school- just e-mail me!

Here is the breakdown so that you can go back, see what I read and read reviews you missed. Below that are my fave reads from this year, so be sure to check that out, too!

100+ in 2010: 60/100
1st in a Series: 2/3
A to Z Challenge: 15/26
ARC Challenge: 12/12 COMPLETED
Colorful Reading Challenge: 1/9 Epic Fail!
Countdown Challenge: 27/55
Flashback Challenge: 0/3 Oops.
Indi Authors: 4/12
Jane Austen Challenge: 2/4
Memoirs Challenge: 3/4
New Authors: 21/25
Random Reading Challenge: 12/12 COMPLETED
RYOB Challenge: 10/10 COMPLETED
Support Local Library: 11/25
Take Another Chance: 4/6
ThemeQuest: 1/5
TwentyTen Challenge: 16/20
We Didn't Start the Fire: 2/8
Women Unbound: 2/2 COMPLETED
World Religion Challenge: 2/3
Year of the Historical: 7/12
Young Adults Challenge: 11/12
YA Through the Decades: 1/8
Young Readers Challenge: 12/12 COMPLETED

Here are the most memorable and favorite books I read in 2010:
1. Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell
2. The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran
3. Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
4. Scared by Tom Davis
5. Blue Bloods #1 by Melissa de la Cruz
6. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
7. The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson


What were your fave reads from this year? Any regrets or proud accomplishments from your year in reading you would like to share? Share on!

And a happy new year to everyone!

17 comments:

  1. Just popping in to wish you and your family a Happy New Year. May 2011 be filled with good books, good friends, good health and much happiness. Good luck on your GRE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I did a lot of challenges in 2010, but you took on so many! Great job on the books you read. My favorites were: Mornings in Jenin (Abulhawa), Sold (McCormick), and A Thousand Splendid Suns (Hosseini)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think school definitely takes priority over blogging! Good luck with your test - I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year I learned to abandon books (even challenge books) early, if necessary. Now I'm torn about how many challenges to do next year. Wish I had your healthy attitude about them.

    Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also enjoyed Persepolis and another graphic novel, Maus. Both were among my favorites for the year.

    A suggestion: don't get locked into the challenges. Read what you want to read. I'm glad you're not feeling guilty about it, but still read whatever, especially with all of the schooling you're taking.

    Oh, and I suck at math too...and hard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd say reading 60 books this year is quite an accomplishment for someone that went back to school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck on the GRE! I hope you do wonderfully :-) What grad school do you want to go to?

    I clearly need to read some Michelle Moran.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on the GRE! I'm sure you'll do great. I told you about the book that really really helped me to study for it, didn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did fantastic considering you throw in a job and school too!!! May 2011 be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moran is one of my favorite authors, so glad you enjoyed her novels! I hope 2011 brings you many more excellent reads. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great year in books Rebecca, and good luck with the GRE exam.

    Happy New Year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on a wildly successful 2010! I hope 2011 brings you equal enjoyment/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hppy New Year, Rebecca! And I'm sure you'll soon catch up on reading once your course is finished.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy new year! I totally failed a few of my challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I failed a number of challenges in 2010, so you were not alone! And, I didn't have school or any other good excuse for it!

    Other random thoughts . . . I am determined to actually read Persepolis this year! And, of course, good luck on the GRE!!!!! I will be thinking of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great list! I loved Persepolis, too. Happy New Year, Rebecca!

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!