December 4, 2010

2010- What was it good for?


Soooo here it is December and what do I have to show for it? Not a lot of reading that's for sure! I really fell down on the job once school started. I knew it would be tougher, but I didn't realize how challenging it would be just to fit in a few minutes of reading. But I did learn a few things along the way that will help me in the following year:

1) Pick books that do not require so much concentration. Many times I was much too tired to keep all the Swedish names and places straight in The Girl Who Plays with Fire. Next semester I will choose books a little less intense since I am doing so much reading in my sociology courses.

2) It's hardly escapism if the book I am reading has a main focus of sex trafficking if my focus in school is also on human trafficking. I am loving the book, don't get me wrong, but it was a little too much on the same subject all at once.

3) I am taking it easier on myself next year since I know in advance I will be in school finishing up pre-reqs in the spring and next fall in graduate school (cross your fingers and toes). I will be reading a lot of scientific papers, articles, etc. and so nonfiction is probably going to take a backseat in my reading repertoire in 2011.

4) My readers and friends are loyal and oozing with awesomeness. They don't mind that I am sporadic now in writing and reading posts (or at least you don't mind too much;).) You guys have no idea how much I have missed talking with you and reading along with you these past few months. Just getting in more interaction this past week has made me realize how big a part of me this community is and how grateful I am to have found it and all of you. My blogging may change somewhat, but I will not stop blogging just because I am in school. It's too much a part of me now.

5) Challenges. You know I love them like a fat kid loves cake. I'm a junkie and I know it. In 2009/2010 I signed up for so many challenges. But luckily I don't have as much guilt as I could have over non-completion simply because I took the road of "using them to broaden my horizons" as much as for "completing the goal." Later this month I will post about challenges completed and not completed all in one fell swoop.


So lessons learned and now I look forward to the new year!

13 comments:

  1. Of course we don't mind - we're happy to hear from you whenever you have the chance to post. Take it easy on yourself and read to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you forgot a rule: Sometimes the shorter a book, the better. That way you feel good about finishing a book. Since it's finals, I'm pulling every skinny book I have off the shelves to read.

    Of course we don't mind you posting sporadically. School does that! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Rebecca, I did not know you were going to school. Sounds like you have been super busy. 2010 was also a 'fail' year for me, so to speak. I had a lot of delays due to serious health issues and now losing a house and moving into an apartment next weekend. And I am also guilty of challenge gluttony...LOL! I'm taking a fail on pretty much all of my 2010 challenges. I'm limiting myself to a maximum of 10 challenges (excluding perpetuals) in 2011.

    I totally agree with you about how important this community has become to me and no matter what is going on in my life, I will always be here. Some have asked me why I don't take a hiatus. Frankly, blogging brings so much joy into my life...I would miss it too much...and all the people too.

    Good luck with your schooling! Here's to a happy and successful new year for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might be time to take up chick lit in a serious way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes it is tough juggling all we want to accomplish in life. We enjoy your posts whenever you have the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to remind myself sometimes that reading and blogging are supposed to be fun, not things that HAVE to get done. When life gets busy, it's okay to pick them up less frequently.

    That said, even 15 minutes of unassigned reading is quite refreshing! Maybe short stories would be an option for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've totally got your priorities straight! School has to come first. Reading should be for entertainment and relaxation and there should be absolutely no pressure with it. Hope you are well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so good at looking at the bright side of things! :D Personally, I don't think this year was good for much...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't do a course and read for fun - I loved my years at Uni, but I hardly read anything that wasn't course-related during the whole three years - it was responsible for the fewest number of books I've ever read in my life, so you're doing pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always an advocate for reading those light no brainer type of books!! LOL...glad to hear from you and hope that your reading goes great for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know exactly how you feel. I can't wait for break.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how you all do it while you're in school! Honestly, I'm seriously impressed and just excited to see you sharing with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I will stick around no matter what! You gotta do what you gotta do! And, be sure to keep us posted on grad school apps! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!