September 19, 2010

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

It took me a while to get to this book, but it was worth the wait!

Westerfeld has a unique way of absorbing the reader into Tally Youngblood's world. Her world is in the future- a future where every sixteen-year-old has an operation to turn her from an "Ugly" into a "Pretty." They have been basically brainwashed to believe they are ugly until they have this operation. The uglies are separated from the pretties. Once you turn 12, you leave your parents and stay in dormitories until your magical 16th birthday where you are transformed from an ugly duckling to a swan.

The only problem is Tally can't get her operation because her friend Shay has skipped town in the cloak of darkness. The Special Circumstances Department has issued her the ultimate ultimatum: bring Shay back or "stay ugly forever." Which, to 16-year-old Tally is just about the worst news ever. Tally decides she is going to look for Shay, after all, she is worried about her and misses her. But will she be able to find her with her cryptic directions before time runs out? And if she finds her, will she be able to commit the ultimate betrayal? And will Tally find out the truth about the operation to turn you into a "Pretty"?

I like the dystopian theme, the theme of the quest for perfection spiraling pretty much out of control (it pretty much is out of control if every single person is having an operation), the theme of good v. evil, the theme of trusting your gut v. trusting what you have always known, the themes of love, betrayal, sacrifice, friendship. Lots to explore in this book and a great way to introduce dystopian themes to young adults.

Well, I, for one, stayed up half the night one night reading this book it had me so hooked. I am looking forward to reading the next one in the series, entitled "Pretties". We get to see what the world of an "Ugly" in Tally's world is about, and the next book we will get to see more into the mysterious world of a "Pretty".


THE STATISTICS: BOOK #: 58
RATING: 4 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: YA Challenge, 1st in a Series, RYOB, New Authors, TwentyTen Challenge, Countdown Challenge, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: YA Fantasy
PUBLISHER: Scholastic
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/425
DISCLAIMER: Purchased

9 comments:

  1. I loved this one too. I didn't think Pretties was as good though. Can't wait to hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this book. Devoured it in a night as well! Pretties is good as well. Specials let it down for me a little but over all the trilogy is good. I want to read the "sequal" I guess you call it Extras which is set after all these events happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first two books in this series. It took me awhile to get into the first book, too. I really enjoyed it after I did, though. And I thought that the second book was pretty good. I am going to read the third and fourth at some point. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one! I loved Pretties even better, though so many people tend to find it annoying. I didn't, though - it's my favorite in the series!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carl loved this whole series and whizzed through it in a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you planning on reading more dystopian novels?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie- I will be sure to let you know!

    Caspette- I am excited you liked the whole series.

    Mrs. DeRaps- I hope I like the second book, too. There seems to be a mixed consensus on it.

    Amanda- Awesome. I love that rebellious nature in you. ;)

    Kathy- I really got engrossed, too.

    Tasha- Yes, I have liked dystopian novels since I first read 1984 12 years ago, but I haven't read as many as I would like. I hope to read more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read Uglies during the read-a-thon in April, but still haven't read Pretties. I really need to get on that - thanks for reminding me! Making a note to get it from the library soon :)

    Glad to hear you also enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard such great things about this series and this book. I've got to prioritize them so I can finally get them read. Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!