September 7, 2010

I am going to SAVE a panda! by Lauren Child

Charlie and Lola rock.

I have never seen the television show but every book I have read featuring Charlie and Lola has been a great experience. The stories share a sense of morality and values while being entertaining and humorous.

In this story, Lola is excited because it is Save an Animal Day at school. On the way to school she boats, "I would be really absolutely extremely good at saving animals."

Charlie explains to Lola about endangered animals and what extinction is. He explains the need for sponsors They go to the library and read all about animals, such as the snow leopards and moon jellyfish and pandas, that are endangered.

They decide to hop and skip to raise money for the giant panda. But Lola gets the chicken pox. She is very upset about this until she realizes she can count her spots to raise money.

It's a cute book, one that ends a little to abruptly so I can't give it a 5, but it does do a wonderful job of explaining the plight of these animals and how even kids can get in on saving them.


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 54
RATING: 4 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: Young Readers, 100+ in 2010, Countdown Challenge
GENRE: Children's Picture Book
PUBLISHER: Grosset & Dunlap, an imprint of Penguin Books (c) 2010
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/22
HEY, FCC!: I borrowed this book.

7 comments:

  1. My daughter really loves the show but we've never seen the books. I think I'd like to read them to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to love Charlie and Lola. I may have to check this book out, even if my daughter's too old for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Charlie and Lola too. I wish Charlie had been my older brother when I was growing up and asking 100 questions a day! I'll have to add this to my school library collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Z and I love Charlie and Lola! They have helped us through so many different situations. I bet he would love this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I will have to keep my eye out for it when J is older.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!