September 9, 2010

How Rocket Learned to Read by Tad Hills

The first thing that struck me about this book was the little yellow bird. I wrote a children's book in a creative writing course in high school and my mom drew the pictures. My story featured a little yellow bird (in a very similar role of mentor) and my mom's picture looks very similar to the little bird in this story. So funny.

Rocket is a puppy who is listening to the little yellow bird read a story. He tells her that he can't read and the little yellow bird seizes the opportunity to teach him. She teaches him the alphabet and that each letter has a sound. Rocket practices and practices until he is spelling E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G. Then instead of the little yellow bird reading Rocket a story, they read it together.

Very cute book for making reading seem interesting and fun to very young children.


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 57
RATING: 4 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: Young Readers, Indie Authors, Countdown Challenge, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: Children's Picture Book
PUBLISHER: Random House (c) 2010
FORMAT/PAGES: Hardback/32
HEY, FCC!: I borrowed this book.

4 comments:

  1. Is it just me or does the bird look like Woodstock?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute. It's been way too long since I read a picture book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasha- Kind of! Except Woodstock's hair stuck up. It actually reminds me more of the bird from that book Are You My Mother? Remember that one?

    Becky- I highly recommend it. It cures what ails you. :)

    Ryan- It so is.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!