September 3, 2010

Censorship Sucks!

As some of you know about me already, I am a big crusader against censorship of any kind. Whether it is censorship in the media, censorship via the Church, or censorship and omissions in history books, I hate it. Loathe it. Detest it. Quite frankly, it pisses me off. And, also quite frankly, it should piss you off, too.

I live in America. The country where it is written in our constitution that we are a free people. We have the right to freedom of religion, to freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom to peacefully assemble and petition our government. So while I will give people who feel the need to censorship their freedom to express their desire to do so, I also want to express to them my right to information however I want to get it.

I don't know about you, but I don't like people telling me what news I should and should not be allowed to know. I don't like people telling me who I should and should not be friends with. I don't like people telling me what I can and cannot read. Who made them the judge and jury of me?

Here is my stance: If you don't approve of your children reading a book, then don't let them read it. But don't you dare tell ME how to parent MY children. If you don't want to be friends with people who are different than you because your IQ and EQ are in the single digits, then by all means, don't. But don't you dare tell me there is something wrong with me because I have a multicultural circle of friends. I am not breaking any laws or causing harm to myself or others, so leave me alone, right? I'm just sayin'.

So, naturally, since I am against any kind of censorship, I am completely against banning books. People who ban books, in my opinion, are only one step away from burning them. That is why I read banned books. In fact, people who ban books are not that bright because when they challenge a book all they are doing is giving it more attention and free press. Then I and many other people want nothing more than to read the book because we want to see what all the fuss is about. Like when the Church took a stance against The Da Vinci Code. I never gave that book one thought until they did that. Then I wanted nothing more than to read it. So, trying to ban books just backfires anyways. People are stupid.

Anyway, this brings me to the fact that Banned Books Week for 2010 is right around the corner (September 25- October 2.) There are exciting events going on right now, but I am just going to highlight a few right now. One, Donna at the blog Bites has put together Ban This! 2010, which extends Banned Books Week into Banned Books Month. Which, of course, totally rocks. She has a Mr. Linky up where you can add your blog if you are going to be posting about banned books this month. She also added the Banned Books Proclamation so that you can read it for the first time or the hundredth and be rejuvenated in your protest.

Also, Steph from Steph Su Reads is hosting a Banned Books Reading Challenge for September 1st through October 15th. I know I already have a perpetual banned books challenge for myself, but I am joining Steph's challenge as well because I want to make this a focus for myself in the next seven weeks. The goal is to read 7 challenged or banned books (1 per week), but you can read more or less depending on what your schedule allows.

I will be linking all of my reviews for this challenge to both this post and to my personal challenge.

I hope you will join us and take a stand against censorship!


MY REVIEWS

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.

11 comments:

  1. I totally agree! If those parents who crusade to ban books would take the time to read them with their kids, they might find a lot to discuss in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam at Bookalicio.us is also having a censorship week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so with you--when anyone bans a book, it makes me so curious I have to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, sister! I've gotta check the books on my list of books I'm planning on reading yet this year and see if I can fit this challenge in with what I have planned. I'll be I can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On the other hand, book banning serves a valuable purpose in motivating kids to read. Nothing whets someone's appetite for something quite like being told *not* to do it. :-P

    Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It pisses me off too when I read about books having to be pulled off the shelves of school libraries because a parent complains about witchcraft, language or sexual content. Really, if your kids feel self-confident and know they are loved - there's not much in any book that's going to send them down the crazy road.

    Look at Harry Potter. Some parents were very upset about the witchcraft in the books - but look at how many kids became excited about reading when they came out. Just like with Twilight (which people either hate, or love) the Goosebump series, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid books - I've seen kids who normally don't read, get serious about reading and tearing through books. Hell, we had a rash of stealing with the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. Not that I condone stealing - but that means kids who didn't think they were going to be able to get a hold of these books - were trying to get them.

    The kids that I caught stealing - I ended up giving the lecture too, making them pay up, and give back and then told them for god's sake - if they needed books I'd be happy to buy them books. I've been known to do that - if a kid wanted a book and I could tell they REALLY wanted it and couldn't afford it, I'd buy it for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree. The minute you tell someone its banned or they CANT read/watch/do it then instantly they WANT to do it.

    Good luck with your challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Censorship totally blows! I'm definitely in for promoting awareness. Good luck on your challenge, I have no doubt you'll be amazingly successful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for promoting Banned Books Week/Month!

    Also I was wondering where to find the Mr. Linky for the Color Challenge. I looked under your tab but didn't find it.

    And finally, I had a 3 books list meme idea for Friends fans...What 3 books did you have to put in the freezer? (Are you a Friends fan? Whenever Joey would read a book that got too scary he had to put it in the freezer for his safety.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. GREAT post!!! I need to consider joining this challenge, but I have so many others to complete first! Maybe I will read at least one book in honor of it! I like to be a rebel anyways!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!