September 27, 2010

BANNED BOOKS WEEK: Monday


Banned Books Week is important for me to celebrate because I have a serious problem with other people trying to censor me. I didn't like being told what to do as a child and I sure as hell don't want someone telling me what to do as an adult. Especially when it has nothing to do with my safety or performing a job correctly.

How dare someone tell me what I can and cannot read? Who are you to to tell me what is and is not appropriate for me? I get that you want to protect your child. I do, I really really get that. If you want to raise a fuss and get books taken out of required classroom reading, you can start with The Scarlet Letter for all I care (no, really, start with that dreadful book. I had to read it twice.) But don't tell me what to read on my own time. And don't BAN the book. There is no need for such drastic measures. I get that you are scared. I get that you're crazy as hell and don't know how to talk to your kids about important subjects so you sure as hell don't want a book doing it. I get that you do not have any idea who you are or what you really believe because otherwise you would be secure enough not to be threatened by differing viewpoints. I get it. But you don't have any right to tell me or my children what we can and cannot read. Last time I checked we still had a Bill of Rights in America.

Don't tell me I am too young for a book about rape. Am I too young to be raped? Nope. Then I am not too young to read about it. Don't tell me I am too young to read about murder. Am I too young to be murdered? No? Then I am not too young to read about it. Don't tell me I can't read a book about a kid with two mommies to my child. Is it going to make my child gay? A) No, and B) Who cares. It's my child's choice. Besides, all homosexuals came from two straight people so maybe you should be looking into the heterosexuals of the world and seeing wtf their problem is. I'm just sayin'.

So, yeah, I have a BIG problem with censorship. It pisses me off. You should be thanking your lucky stars your child even bothered to pick up a book in the first place. How many teenagers actually choose to read these days?

Everyday this week I am having a post about banned books. No, I am not going to go on a rant everyday (though I could, no doubt) but it will be entertaining so I hope you come back and check it out!


QUESTION OF THE DAY: What banned book(s) are you reading this week?

12 comments:

  1. I feel the same way. Keep your hands off of my books please!! I get to choose. Freedom and all that.

    I'm reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I know Magic is not real, so those banners can stop worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Slaughterhouse 5, which has been called vulgar and offensive. Just my kind of book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What makes me really mad is when books are banned in classrooms. One or two parents shouldn't have the right to decide for the rest of the kids. Gah! Yesterday I posted about two picture books that sadly often fall under that distinction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm rereading The Giver. I would read To Kill a Mockingbird, but I'm in between moves and my copy is in a box in a storage unit somewhere. I look forward to your posts each day this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having fun with BBW this year and reading a bunch of books that celebrate or in some way include positive, happy, heart-thumping sex. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great little post here Amanda! Looking forward to seeing what else you put up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this rant!

    I cannot believe the nerve of some people, wanting to ban books and restrict the access of those books. How dare someone try to parent other people's children.

    As for what I am reading this week, I am reading The Absolutely True Diary Of A Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie for Banned Books Week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree. I totally respect the right of a parent to monitor what their own child reads, but they have no business telling everyone else what they should or shouldn't read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a librarian and I hate it when someone comes up to me and ask for a book to not be read. There's a great article by Lauren Myracle, who's had two of her books be banned on Shelf Awareness that I posted a link to it on my blog, since I'm not reading any banned books this week, but wanted to contribute anyway.
    http://asthepageturns-page.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could not have said it better! I was working at the library on the first day of Banned Books week and I wore my button proud. My fellow pages and I checked out several books on the list and were going to read them this week.
    I was actually going to start with Forever by Judy Blume. I never read that one. Haven't decided yet.

    Great post! I agree wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebecca, what a great post! I totally agree with you. I just finished In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak. I read Blankets by Craig Thompson last week and it was just a good book. I think I'm going to read some Judy Blume and maybe some Toni Morrison.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!