August 3, 2010

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler

The sequel to Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict is the reversal of the first book. In this one Jane goes to sleep in 19th century England and wakes up in 21st century New York City. As you can imagine Jane is overwhelmed by not only the fact she has woken up in a new life and everyone thinks she is Courtney Stone, but she also is overwhelmed, of course, by how much daily life has changed. Cars, cell phones, televisions, billboards, the fact a woman go into a bar, the fact that everyone wears so little clothing now.

There are funny quips and it is entertaining to see how Jane responds to and interacts with the people, technology, and new experiences of life two centuries later. There are things she loves about it (the beach, Google, watching Pride & Prejudice on television as much as she wants) and also things she doesn't acclimate to as well (she tries to wear an unused wedding gown of Courtney's because it is the most respectable item in the closet.)

I liked this book, although I think Confessions, was better. I'm not sure if the story was better, or I just liked being transported into 19th century England, better than 21st century New York. Which did you prefer- Confessions or Rude Awakenings?

THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 45
RATING: 3.5 stars
5 CHALLENGES: Jane Austen Challenge, Year of the Historical Challenge, 100+ in 2010, RYOB Challenge, Countdown Challenge for '09
GENRE: Historical Fiction
PUBLISHER: Penguin Group
FORMAT/PAGES: Hardcover/289
HEY, FCC!: I won this book last year from Stephanie's Written Word.

8 comments:

  1. You know. I "liked" both books, but didn't buy them, which is saying something for me and Austen sequel/remakes. I actually really like remakes (as is obvious by the number I read), but these were just fun meanderings for me. I think this one made me too nervous for words, so I think I tend to like the ones that go back in time. It's fun to consider though, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read either one, but they sure do sound like fun to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books have seemed like fun since I first saw them, but I still haven't bit the bullet and bought them. We'll see..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a Jane Austen freak like so many others but the premise of these books does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read them yet, but I own the first one. From what I've seen most people seem to prefer the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. An unused wedding gown? This wasn't a bride's maid dress, was it? *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've often heard that this book is better than Confessions, so it was refreshing to read that you think differently. I have to admit that I was hoping you'd like this one better though because I didn't enjoy Confessions as much as I'd expected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I liked the first one but haven't made the time for this one yet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!