August 18, 2010

Persepolis I and II by Marjane Satrapi, or How I Came to Love the Graphic Novel



I am standing on the threshold of a whole new world. Yes, that's right- the world of graphic novels. Yet another book world opened to me by book bloggers.

I had picked up random graphic novels in the bookstore and thought this is just a glorified comic strip. But it wasn't graphic novels I didn't like. It was just the ones I kept choosing.

I have been reading bloggers go on and on about Persepolis and so when I saw it by chance at the library, I picked it up and read a few pages. How different it was!

It had an intriguing story. It wasn't about superheroes or pirates or androids. (These have their place, but they aren't for me.) It was a memoir about growing up in Iran during the 1970s. It was about war, it was about family, it was about rebellion, it was about finding out who you are and what you really believe in a world where what you are and what you believe could literally be your death.


It had funny parts and serious parts. I loved learning about the culture and the transition from traditional ways to more modern ways and back again in Iran. I was absolutely surprised by how much I loved Persepolis I. So much so that I went and got Persepolis 2 the next week!

I have to thank you, my lovelies, for introducing me to yet another genre (format?) I would have skipped altogether if it were not for your passion and enthusiasm about these books. Thank you for recommending this to me. Now, I need more. :)

"We can only feel sorry for ourselves when our misfortunes are still supportable...once this limit is crossed, the only way to bear the unbearable is to laugh at it." -from Persepolis

See Influences:
The Boston Bibliophile's Graphic Novel Monday- What Is a Graphic Novel?
One Literature Nut- Review
Serendipity- Review
A Striped Armchair- Review
Fizzy Thoughts- Review
The Zen Leaf- Review (as you can see they've had to work on me for a while!)
Nymeth of things mean a lot has influenced me too. :)

Recently Reviewed by:
Laughing Stars
BookNAround


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 48, 49
RATING: 4 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: Take Another Chance Challenge, New Authors, Support Your Local Library, 100+ in 2010, Young Adult Reads
GENRE: YA Graphic Novel
PUBLISHER: Pantheon
FORMAT/PAGES: Hardcover/352
HEY, FCC!: Borrowed from the library.

15 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this! I thought it was wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I "discovered" graphic novels earlier this year and have really enjoyed a bunch of them. Persepolis 1 and 2 are such interesting reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing how great this one is too. I need to try some more of this genre ... I've only read one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like you, I came to graphic novels only recently, but with ones like Persepolis and Maus, I've fallen in love with the genre. I want to explore more, but recently have been pulled into the latest "fads": Hunger Games, Millenium trilogies. Maybe by the end of the year, I'll be able to get back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, there are so many wonderful graphic novels awaiting you, in all sorts of genres. Congratulations on discovering them at last! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, I'm so glad you enjoyed Persepolis! I only recently discovered graphic novels/memoirs too and I'm really enjoying reading them. Hope you continue to find ones you enjoy! (Hmm, how many sentences in a row can I use the verb "enjoy" in? I think it's time for me to go to bed!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you finally got to these! And to think, her other works are even better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Graphic novels are new to me too, and Persepolis I and II are, so far, my favorites. I'm glad you loved them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Satrapi's books. You might want to try Embroideries next. Also the movie (or rather animation) version of Persepolis is excellent. It was an Oscar nominee in 2007 in the best animation category.

    Greetings,
    Tiina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Glad to hear you enjoyed Persepolis! It's one of my favorite graphic novels. It's also required reading for one of my classes in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Persepolis was the first graphic I ever read also! You must check out Shaun Tan. He is absolutely AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew you would find one you liked eventually. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now you should try Embroideries by Satrapi. I liked these as well, and was sucked in by the stories. Embroderies has an even stronger human element to it that you might find pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved these two! I have Satrapi's Chicken With Plums on my endtable right now. It's about her uncle. I really want to read it and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I got these from the library a while back, but never got to read them! I have to pick them up again because they look sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!