August 6, 2010

Hey Lady! Is That Trish on 20 Questions?

Okay, how about I am an idiot. I was thinking today was Thursday but CLEARLY it is Friday. I apologize for not having this done and ready to post so that it wouldn't matter if I knew what day it was!

Today I have Trish from Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'? I think Trish is witty and interesting and I like the way her personality shines through her blog. Thank you, Trish, for sharing with us, and forgive me for not getting this up the correct day. :/

1. MY EARLIEST MEMORY OF READING: Reading children's rhymes out of a big yellow book that had lots of silly little rhymes. My favorite was: Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear / Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair / So Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy, was he?

2. THE FIRST BOOK I READ OVER AND OVER: See question above. I know that that rhyme isn't particularly hard to memorize, but I did flip through the book enough to memorize that rhyme.

3. A CHILDREN’S BOOK EVERY CHILD SHOULD READ: Walter the Farting Dog? I don't really know how to answer this since I don't have kids and don't read any kid lit. However, I think the illustrations in The Rainbow Goblins are just GORGEOUS. So maybe that one.

4. THE BOOK I HAVE RE-READ THE MOST TIMES: East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Guess how many times I've re-read that book. Five? Ten? Actually, only twice. I don't re-read books.

5. MY FAVORITE PLACE TO READ: Anywhere by myself. I started taking the bus so I can read, but I seem to have made friends on the bus and now I don't have a chance to read there. Is it rude to say, Sorry, I enjoy talking to you, but I'd really rather read.

6. MY MUST-HAVE READING ACCESSORIES: bookmarks.

7. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS I OWN (YOU CAN GUESS): Well, seeing as how I'm getting ready to get rid of about 175 books (I'm making room for MORE BOOKS!), I'd guesstimate the number of books to be...500-600. I know I should feel proud of that, but it just makes me want to crawl in bed and suck my thumb, since I know I'll never get to them all, and I still bring new books in. Oh, the futility!

8. MY BOOKSHELVES ARE: rude. I need to teach those shelves some manners! They don't get that it's RUDE to run out of room, or to let books fall off the shelves. I mean, REALLY.

9. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST (THAT I HAVE NOT AQUIRED YET): I don't keep a list because I'm convinced this number is infinite.

10. THE WAY I KEEP TRACK OF BOOKS I WANT TO READ: I put them on my Amazon wishlist, and then I acquire them some other way than Amazon, since I hate Amazon. But I have to admit, their interface is really quite nice. So I use their wishlist thingy but don't buy from them. This is me sticking it to the man.

11. THE LAST BOOK I RECEIVED/BOUGHT: This is hard to answer since I buy books on a fairly regular basis (even now, despite the fact that I'm only reading about 2 books a month, I'm continually bringing in 5+ books a month that I buy myself, not including review copies). So I'll tell you that the last few books I bought were: Mr. Peanut by Adam Ross, Unformed Landscape by Peter Stamm, and The Quickening by Michelle Hoover.

12. A BOOK THAT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE IN SOME WAY: Most recently: The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris. From when I was younger: Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo.

13. A BOOK I LIKE THAT NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO: Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. It's not that no one seems to like it, but more that it is a definite love or hate book.

14. A BOOK I DON’T LIKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE: I would have thought this would be The Time Traveler's Wife, but when I posted my review about how I didn't like it, others who didn't like it came out of the woodwork. So.

15. A BOOK THAT INTIMIDATES ME: Ulysses. Or any other book that I feel should be read in an English class (and by that I mean, with someone who explains what you're reading the whole way through).

16. IF I COULD GO TO ANY LITERARY DESTINATION I WOULD CHOOSE: the laundromat that doubles as a greenhouse in Hothouse Flower and the Nine Plants of Desire.

17. THREE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS: Tana French, Joshua Ferris, and Wally Lamb.

18. I HAVE BEEN BLOGGING ABOUT BOOKS SINCE: 2006

19. MY BOOK BLOG STANDS OUT FROM THE CROWD BECAUSE: it is easy to see from a distance.

20. THREE BOOK BLOGGERS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FEATURED IN THE FUTURE: Jessica from Both Eyes Book Blog, Steph from Steph & Tony Investigate, and Zibilee from Raging Bibliomania.


Hopefully you can see what I mean about Trish's wittiness. I cracked up at #8 and #19! If you haven't been to Trish's blog, you need to go visit. All the cool kids are doing it. :)

Don't Miss Next Week:
Steph from Steph Su Reads

15 comments:

  1. Oh Trish! I love Bel Canto though I am meh about Patchett's other books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, bookshelves can be rude! And I am totally with you on making friends on the bus - love them dearly... but let me read already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems we all bring in books faster than we can read them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it Friday today?? Or am I living in some alternate universe where it's actually Saturday?
    I love this feature btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put in a request to the FDA for TBR anxiety pills. They asked what TBR meant, and I got sad. I think Trish's idea of going to bed and sucking your thumb is a great way to deal with the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fuzzy Wuzzy! Hadn't thought of him in years. My other childhood favorite (other than Seuss' On Beyond Zebra) was The Goops. I sort of admired them.

    Am reading French's latest - have heard mixed reviews but am loving it.

    Great Q&A!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great way to learn about new-to-me blogs! So, thank you Rebecca & Trish! I'll have to go and take a look at Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'? asap.

    Greetings,
    Tiina

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lenore - I've read most of Patchett's other books, and I remember liking them but it was so long ago that I can't say for sure. Eh. Oh well. Sisters in love for Bel Canto! :)

    @Amy - AH! You know what it's like to try to read on the bus! I stopped taking the bus for a short period because I was like, What's the point? But then I decided I just needed to be firm and let people know I really want to read. It's worked pretty well!

    @bermudaonion - Ain't that the truth!

    @Lahni - Thanks for stopping by!

    @Trisha - Glad you like my idea of crawling in bed and sucking your thumb. Wish I could do it more often. :D

    @Sparkle - I loved Tana French's latest book! I hope you continue to love it!

    @Tina - I look forward to seeing you at Hey Lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes!! The Rainbow Goblins!!! I love love love this book and I begged my mom for my childhood copy but she can't find it and I've been searching for it ever since. It has the most wonderful illustrations and I need to share them with my son!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First, I have to ask - why choose East of Eden to reread if you don't reread books?

    Second, I *hated* the Time Traveler's Wife and I'm always glad when I see other people say they dislike it! We're in such a minority on this one. In fact, when I did 20 questions with Rebecca, that was my answer for a book I didn't like that everyone else did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Bel Canto. I remember being so surprised when my book club did not like it years ago? What??? It was such a great book.

    As for East of Eden, I could reread that book again and again.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Bel Canto is one of my all-time favorites! I like Patchett's other books but Bel Canto is in a class by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great answers Trish! And thanks Rebecca for hosting her. She is so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh I recently finished East of Eden and absolutely loved it. (if you go back to my answers you'll notice it was, at the time, the latest book to find its way into my hands).

    Your bookshelf does sound rude. Then again, I would be too if I had to hold so many books like that, without being able to read them (because, you know, being a bookshelf would mean I have no eyes to read. Or brain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Questions 8 & 9 definitely gave me a giggle too! Great interview. Thanks for sharing Trish with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!