August 12, 2010

20 Questions with Steph Su

Steph of Steph Su Reads has graciously shared her answers to the 20 Questions today. I enjoy Steph's blog and if you haven't been there, you should! Thanks for participating today, Stephanie!

1. MY EARLIEST MEMORY OF READING:

Board books borrowed from the public library! I remember my favorite was one in which an airplane flew over a town, and my parents and I picked out the house that was ours. :)

2. THE FIRST BOOK I READ OVER AND OVER:

I'm sure I reread books all the time because I had nothing else to do, but the first book I really remember actively rereading was Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. Still one of the best books of all time, in my opinion.

3. A CHILDREN’S BOOK EVERY CHILD SHOULD READ:

The Phantom Tollbooth!

4. THE BOOK I HAVE RE-READ THE MOST TIMES:

Well, judging by the fact that my copy of Ella Enchanted is in pieces, probably that one, right?

5. MY FAVORITE PLACE TO READ:

On a comfy surface with plenty of back support, so that my arms are not strained holding the book, and with lots of comfy stuff, like blankets or pillows, nearby. :)

6. MY MUST-HAVE READING ACCESSORIES:

Water!

7. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS I OWN (YOU CAN GUESS):

According to LibraryThing, close to 1000. *gulp*

8. MY BOOKSHELVES ARE:

Inadequate. :( I like the ones I have in my apartment at school: 3 of the cheapest kind from Ikea. But at home I have most of my books stored in boxes. The books I DO have on shelves are double-shelved, which is really upsetting for my bookshelf-lusting self.

9. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST (THAT I HAVE NOT AQUIRED YET):

Oh goodness, I have no clue, probably in the hundreds.

10. THE WAY I KEEP TRACK OF BOOKS I WANT TO READ:

Goodreads!

11. THE LAST BOOK I RECEIVED/BOUGHT:

I bought two books at Borders over the weekend: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa and Discord's Apple by Carrie Vaughn. Can't wait to dive into both.

12. A BOOK THAT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE IN SOME WAY:

I guess I'd have to say Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery. Reading that book makes me look at life differently, focusing more on the small, beautiful things and my surroundings. It makes me believe in the power of being surrounded by beauty and inspiration.

13. A BOOK I LIKE THAT NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO:

It's more like no one knows about this book, but I loved The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger. It was one of the defining books of my childhood. I'm always sad that not more people know about it.

14. A BOOK I DON’T LIKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE:

I guess I'd have to say Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. Maggie's a talented writer, and I'm definitely up for reading more of her work... but Grace and Sam's story just didn't do it for me.

15. A BOOK THAT INTIMIDATES ME:

Ulysses by James Joyce. I think it would be a trip reading it. A really long, arduous, difficult, frustrating, incomprehensible trip.

16. IF I COULD GO TO ANY LITERARY DESTINATION I WOULD CHOOSE:

The UK. Plenty of magical places to explore there, both rural and urban. I feel like the whole country is rife with possibilities for inspiration.

17. THREE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS:

Megan McCafferty, Sarah Dessen, Maria Snyder. I like my favorite authors tried and true. :)

18. I HAVE BEEN BLOGGING ABOUT BOOKS SINCE:

January 2009 - around the same time two of my favorite bloggers (Adele from Persnickety Snark and Jenny from Wondrous Reads) also started!

19. MY BOOK BLOG STANDS OUT FROM THE CROWD BECAUSE:

I think that my ongoing education in literary analysis, writer's view, and public education definitely contribute to the tones of my posts and what I focus about on my blog. That's alongside a large dose of self-deprecation and my romantic side, I like to think. ;)

20. THREE BOOK BLOGGERS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FEATURED IN THE FUTURE:

Oh, whoever really wants to! Though I'd like to see Lenore's answers to these questions. :)

Cool! I started blogging in January 2009, too! I am with you on Ulysses. And I can't believe you have 1000 books! Have you read them all? I haven't read most of the books on my shelves. I seem to trade most of them in for other books I want to read as soon as I'm done with them!


NOTE:

I am re-organizing my 20 Questions feature. I am brainstorming about this and one of my ideas is to let YOU ask the featured blogger questions, too. Perhaps tell you who is coming the next week and you pose questions for him/her and then they answer the following week. What do you think?

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like the love of reading has been with you from a very early age. I love the story of the airplane book!!

    Answer to your note: Test drive it...sounds like a cool idea!! By highlighting that person's blog a week in advance those of us that are not familiar with that person can check them out ahead of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Staci! I think its a great idea for people to get to know their blog before we read their answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that idea a lot. Sounds like fun.

    I am always tickled that the books we read the most are usually the ones discovered in childhood/young adulthood.

    Great answers. I would love to visit the UK as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intimidated by Ulysses as well.

    I like the new organization of this feature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww! Steph!

    You can read a lot of my answers to these questions, because I answered them back in April:

    http://imlostinbooks.blogspot.com/2010/04/lenore-answers-20-questions.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers, Steph! I definitely know what you mean about the Anne of Green Gables series. Some of the classic children's authors wrote such lovely, creative books. I definitely appreciated L.M. Montgomery's attachment to rural and agricultural life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG - 1000 books?!! You must have books in every single room of your house :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm double shelved in my book cases too! It's almost criminal. LOL I'm shocked Steph has only been blogging since January 2009 that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!