August 26, 2010

20 Questions with Ryan from Wordsmithsonia

Today I want to welcome Ryan of Wordsmithsonia to the blog. He has graciously let us get to know him better by answering my 20 Questions. He wanted to send in a photo, but needs a camera. :(

After reading Ryan's well thought out answers, please leave a comment letting Ryan and I know you were here. If you would also like to ask Ryan a question, please feel free to do so in the comments section.


20 QUESTIONS

1. MY EARLIEST MEMORY OF READING:

I had to think about this one for a while as I've always been a reader. I was trying to think back and pinpoint when my life long habit started but all I could think of were some of my favorite books when I was a wee little tyke. I loved the Sweet Pickles books, the Amelia Bedelia books, Harry the Dirty Dog, Curious George, I could go on and one but mostly the books we all grew up with and loved. I also remember loving my copy of My Book Of Bible Stories, the yellow cover with red lettering.

2. THE FIRST BOOK I READ OVER AND OVER:

I think it would have to be My Book Of Bible Stories. I was never able to get enough of Samson, David, and Daniel.

3. A CHILDREN’S BOOK EVERY CHILD SHOULD READ:

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, still a beautifully done story with wonderful illustrations. Skip the movie though, not one of my favorites and my son didn't like it all that much either.

4. THE BOOK I HAVE RE-READ THE MOST TIMES:

Gosh, I'm not sure I can really answer this one as I tend to reread a lot. I've read The Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey too many times to count though. Atlas, Shrugged by Ayn Rand, quite a few books by Agatha Christie, The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, and The Thief of Always by Clive Barker would all be on the list as well. And to be honest if I had to list all the books I've read more than 5 times, I would be answering this question for quite a while.

5. MY FAVORITE PLACE TO READ:

Curled up on the couch with a glass of water in the Summer and a cup of hot tea in the Winter.

6. MY MUST-HAVE READING ACCESSORIES:

Pillows, blanket, drinks (see above), popcorn or hard salami with some type of cheese, and anything else I feel like having around me.

7. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS I OWN (YOU CAN GUESS):

According to Goodreads I have 341 books. That should be a close number as I only put in books I own, don't include ARCs, and remove books if I get rid of them. The actual number may be a few books more, but 341 should almost be accurate.

8. MY BOOKSHELVES ARE:

Are full but could always use new books to grace their shelves. The other books tend to get lonely and bored with eachother unless they have new playmates to get to know, and being me, I'm always ready to accomodate them.

9. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST (THAT I HAVE NOT AQUIRED YET):

Uhmmmm..........Can I get back to you on that. I don't think I'm able to count that high and my brain just hurts thinking about it.

10. THE WAY I KEEP TRACK OF BOOKS I WANT TO READ:

Pretty haphazardly actually. I'm pretty bad about jotting down book titles then misplacing them. I do tend to have a great memeory for the books that really intrigued me so I normally don't have that big of an issure remembering them if I need to.

11. THE LAST BOOK I RECEIVED/BOUGHT:

I just bought 4 paperbacks and 2 hardcovers form the Friends of the Library Book Store that is located at the Central Branch of our public library system. Of those 6 book the last one I picked up for purchase was a old paperback of Games Killers Play edited by Alfred Hitchcock.

12. A BOOK THAT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE IN SOME WAY:

I could say Atlas, Shrugged by Ayn Rand because in college it made me look at life a bit differently but in the end it really didn't change my politics or overall though processes too much (I still love the book though). The Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey (so three books), helped me get through some personal issues in my head, and for that I'll always be grateful.

13. A BOOK I LIKE THAT NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO:

I don't know that it's really about books I like that others don't, but more about books I like that nobody else seems to have read (at least people I know). The Devil's Auction by Robert Weinberg being a great example. I love pulpy horror novels from the 60s through the 80s and I never get enough of them. I'm getting ready to read The Sentinel by Jeffrey Konvitz and I really want to read The Exorcist by William Peter Blatly and Burnt Offerings by Robert Marasco.

14. A BOOK I DON’T LIKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE:

Can I start with the Twilight books? I can't stand them and I know I'm not the only one who feels that way, but at times I feel like I'm standing amongst a sea of crazy people who forgot what good writing was. Then I would have to throw Jane Austen books in for good measure. I know I just annoyed a lot of people so I'm sorry for that.

15. A BOOK THAT INTIMIDATES ME:

Anything that eveyone tells me I have to read because it's a classic. Most of the time I find them boring and can never get through them. I tend to find myself thinking that I must be too dumb to see what all these others are seeing, because I don't get it. I could give you lots of examples but I will just name Moby Dick by Herman Melville and Ulysses by James Joyce.

16. IF I COULD GO TO ANY LITERARY DESTINATION I WOULD CHOOSE:

If I coul name any place, real or fantasy, it would have to be the Kingdom of Valdemar that Mercedes Lackey has brilliantly created throught numerous books. If it had to be a real place I would pick the Salem, MA that is depicted in The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry.

17. THREE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS:

Agatha Christie, Mercedes Lackey, Daryl Gregory

18. I HAVE BEEN BLOGGING ABOUT BOOKS SINCE:

July of 2009

19. MY BOOK BLOG STANDS OUT FROM THE CROWD BECAUSE:

I keep my fingers crossed everytime I post and pray that someone, anyone will read it. Honestly, I'm just thankful that anyone takes their time and reads what I choose to put out there. I'm always surprised by the response I get on posts and I'm grateful for everyone who chooses to read my blog.

20. THREE BOOK BLOGGERS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FEATURED IN THE FUTURE:

I had to go through the entire list of those who have already done it so I could make all 3 suggestions count. I will go with Melissa of My World... In Words And Pages, Cathy of Kittling: Books, and Stephanie of Misfit Salon. I could have named quite a few more, but the question called for only 3. If you need more suggestions though, I'll be glad to help out (especially with some more male bloggers).

Thanks for sharing today, Ryan! I forgive you for your Jane Austen comment. Maybe. ;)

Do you have any questions or comments for Ryan? Leave one below!

22 comments:

  1. Jane Austen, Ryan? So sad. *sigh* Otherwise, though, great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ryan's blog - he certainly doesn't need to keep his fingers crossed that people will read it. I feel exactly like he does about some classics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan should take some pictures of his books interacting and getting lonely. When he gets a camera. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celia, Sorry I've tried, I really ahve but I just can't do it. Does Pride & Prejudice & Zombies count?

    Kathy, Thanks I appreciate it :-)

    Tasha, Just let me know how racy you want them to be and I'll get it taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ryan's blog and reading what he has posted. I agree with Tasha, I would love to see these interacting books =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan - I think the Zombies do count, because they add 300% to the fun factor. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zia, Thanks! You always know how to get a guy to blush.

    Celia, Good! Then I can say I've read Jane Austen and loved it. I'm even going to read Sense & Sensability & Sea Monster.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I started Ulysses a year and a half ago and I still haven't finished it. While I don't hate Ulysses - it's definitely close. You're not missing anything, Ryan.

    And one of these days, I will have to tackle Atlas Shrugged. BTW, are you going to see the movie adaptation?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steph, I'm glad to hear I'm not missing much. For some reason I didn't think I was. Movie adaptations bother me sometimes, I would hope it would live up to the spirit and tone of the book as well as the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great 20 questions....I love Ryans blog...I am a terrible lurker though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lurking is ok with me. It still means you are reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great answers, Ryan! I love the book Burnt Offerings. I read it years ago. It's a great horror novel. I haven't read The Sentinel or The Exorcist, but I need to. I had no idea that you disliked Jane Austen that much! Like Rebecca said, I'll forgive you...maybe! About the Twilight issue...now you know I know what good writing is and I still like Twilight. It's my (not) guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so naughty for not liking Austen!! I'm kidding....you really do re-read a lot of your books. I have never able to do that! I do want to read HP again!! I love your blog and enjoy your thoughts on the genres you read!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved reading Ryan's answers :) I really like this meme!

    I agree with you Ryan on the classics. I want to read at least one Jane Austen book to be able to say "been there, done that" but it intimidates me to no end.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Michelle, If I can forgive you for Twilight then you can forgive me for Austen :-)

    Staci, I love rereading books because no matter how many times I read something I'm always discovering something new that I didn't notice before. And I love your blog too!


    Vixen, I'm just glad that I'm not alone anymore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, oh dear, my number one favorite book of all time is, yes, you guessed it: PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. (I don't think of it as a classic, I just think of it as a damn good book.) But I forgive you, Ryan.
    Since you like Agatha Christie. That counts with me. AND you like to reread, as I do. That also counts. Your answers were well thought out and informative. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yvette, Thanks! I'm just glad you don't tottaly detest me for my lack of Austen love. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Ryan! Where the Wild Things Are is one of the most wonderful children's books ever.

    I love Jane Austen and can't stand Ayn Rand. We agree on Twilight though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Steph, Well that has to be worth something :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm way behind in my blog reading, but couldn't help myself swinging by and commenting on this one!!

    Sadly, I only recently discovered the Sweet Pickles books since my son brought one home from school last week. Who knew they were so popular?!? I have The Haunting of Hill House on my shelf, but still haven't read it. I'm thinking October will be a great month for it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tif, My son is reading The Sweet Pickles books right now and he's loving them again.

    The Haunting of Hill House is so good I know you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ryan, I will definitely be seeing if I can find more Sweet Pickles! I seem to have been missing out on these treasures!! And, The Haunting of Hill House is on my list for next month! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!