July 13, 2010

What Are Your Favorite Genres?

Everyone has favorite genres that they read- even eclectic readers like myself. Whether you enjoy historical fiction or science fiction, art books or nonfiction satires, memoirs or young adult- you have favorites. It's okay to choose. It won't hurt the other genres feelings, I promise. (Or we just won't tell them.)

Here is my list:

1. Historical Fiction- I like reading about places and people different than my own life. Historical fiction definitely fits that bill. My favorite time periods are Ancient Egypt, Regency England, and Ancient Japan.



2. Memoirs- I enjoy reading a tantalizing real-life account of someone, written from their own perspective. I usually go for memoirs that are either very funny or are stories of triumphs over adversity. Some favorite picks are The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls, Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster.



3. Contemporary World Literature- I love reading about other cultures, whether it be historical fiction or a memoir or contemporary fiction. Books that come to mind: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, A Disobedient Girl by Ru Freeman, and The Writing on My Forehead by Nafisa Haji.


What about you? What are your favorite genres to read? Please share by participating in this meme on your blog! Then come back and add your link so others can find your post. You have all week to get your post together.

19 comments:

  1. My 3 favorites are literary fiction , memoirs and mysteries. !

    ReplyDelete
  2. chick lit, literary fiction, mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    Great new badge! =D Let me work on my own post . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy literary fiction and contemporary world fiction similar to what you have described above.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I answwered it on my blog and linked it. Do check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love memoirs, literary fiction, women's fiction, contemporary world literature, mysteries - I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. +JMJ+

    Mine is up and linked! =)

    Thanks for hosting, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really couldn't pick three, but I did my post and linked it. Thanks for hosting this. I love these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! I think I would choose literary fiction, comics/graphic novels, and food-related non-fiction. By far my faves off the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorites are probably:

    memoirs
    offbeat contemporary fiction
    essays

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a fun question! I do love my genre books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine are classics, literary fiction, and history.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice list! It took a bit of deliberation for me to come up with my favorite genres (or get them in the right order, actually!). And I'm not sure I've done it completely honestly either...but great question! It made me think and evaluate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome meme! I'm glad I stumbled across this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first week playing along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tough meme :-)

    I had no problem with my all-time favourite (travelogues) and the runner-up (mysteries), but naming a third was tough. In the end I mentioned a third genre (fantasy), but not as a favourite, just as a contender.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I missed this so...

    High Concept Fantasy

    Paranormal

    Historical Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so hard considering that I really like to read just about everything! However, if I have to choose, I would go with Young Adult, General Fiction (definitely like a cultural spin to it!), and I'm going to have to throw out Horror!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!