July 11, 2010

TSS: Book Bloggers Rock!

The book blogging community is a fabulous group of individuals. I feel very fortunate to be a part of this community, to be respected in this community, and most of all to have friends in this community. Every time I talk to a book blogger I feel a sense of kinship even if we live in different parts of the world or read different types of books. Every time I visit a book blog I learn something- sometimes I learn of a new book I want to read (okay this happens all the time), sometimes I learn a new writing or reviewing style that I like and admire, and sometimes I learn more about the blogger (which I always like).

There are so many great book blogs out there that it is so difficult for me not to want to visit all of them daily. Of course that is impossible. I don't even visit my favorites daily, let's just be real. But there are specific reasons I like each blog that I visit- something that makes them unique and stand apart. Sometimes I find so many books I want to read that even the tbr LIST is sagging. Sometimes I like the blogger and feel a connection to them personally. Sometimes I like their writing style or the layout on their blog coupled with interesting posts holds my attention and makes me come back for more. Sometimes it is all of the above!

At the same time I am writing this, I am thinking how I like discovering new-to-me blogs, too. I like the anticipation of coming upon a blog that could very well become a new favorite. Sometimes I will peruse a blogroll to discover new blogs. Most of the time I subscribe to them in Twitter as a trial run and look over their blog later. I read guest posts from other bloggers and I pay attention when a favorite blogger mentions s/he found great books at this person's blog or that person's review on Goodreads, or whatever the case may be.

I love the book blogging community. It is one reason I have the feature 20 Questions each week- to introduce bloggers to others and to get to know them and their reading habits and quirks a little better. I love it when I discover a reader has found another blogger that fits right in with their reading tastes.

Just as there are so many books, so little time, there are also so many book blogs, so little time. Would you agree with that statement?

One way you can support the book blogging community as well as your favorite blogs and discover new blogs is through Book Blogger Appreciation Week (BBAW) which is coming up in September. It is just one way to recognize great work in our field of book blogging. If you haven't registered to participate or to vote, I recommend doing so.

I wish there was a way to recognize every single book blog out there and I am working (along with Tif and Tasha B.) to make a site dedicated solely to the appreciation of the book blogging community. It is my hope that this will be a place where you can come and find those other bloggers who you can naturally gravitate towards and find new friends and kindred spirits.

Here is to book bloggers everywhere, you rock!

17 comments:

  1. If it hadn't been for book bloggers, I wouldn't be reading such diverse genres!

    Here is my TSS/Weekly Geeks post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I agree - book bloggers are awesome. For me the best part of BEA is being with other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be very overwhelming, can't it? I recently had to reorganize my reader so that I was viewing certain blogs on certain dates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hear, hear! I often wish there were more hours in the day so that I could discover and really read some more blogs (while still reading some more books!). There are so many great blogs out there, I know I'm barely scratching the surface, and just that's more than I can handle.

    The book blogger kinship thing you described is so true, and it was one of the things that was so awesome about going to BEA. It was hardly an awkward meeting of strangers. Even though I was meeting people I'd never technically met, it was much more like a re-uniting of old friends that I felt at ease with immediately. Book bloggers *do* rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The community is lucky for having you in it!

    Good luck on your new endeavor :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the past year, book blogging has literally changed my life. The wonderful people I've met have introduced me to so many amazing reads, ideas, and events!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do get overwhelmed sometimes. There are so many blogs I like to follow but only so much time in a day. Often all I can get to is to scan things in my reader but I just hate when I can't comment. Trying, trying to get my reader set up to work better for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great post. So many great bloggers, who have brought so many great books to my attention. I love it. I wish I had enough time to read them all, or even to comment on all of those that I read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait, you think you are respected in the book blogging community? What gave you that idea? ;)

    Actually I agree with you (except, of course, for the part, about you being respected ;) because book bloggers are pretty awesome, at least the ones I've met: too many to mention.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see your new site!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! I must say that book bloggers have led me to try countless books that I probably would have looked over otherwise. I love this community myself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well said dear....well said!!! This is the greatest community ever and I'm so thrilled to know you and to be a part of this wonderful group of people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The community site is an awesome idea. I was just mentioning to my husband that I felt a little out of the loop on the more social relationships of our community since I don't use Twitter (I really don't have the time for something else!). I would love a place to experience the more personal sides of the bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It really is hard keeping up with all the new bloggers out there. It's fun and scary, all at the same time! :)

    You guys are heroes to be putting together a site to unite us all. That's quite some doing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A-men. Whatever would this lowly Bumble blogger have done without the book blogging community to welcome me? A nicer group of bloggers you'll never find.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally and completely agree with you on all that you have said! It is so hard to stay caught up, but it is so much fun to read it all (as impossible as it may be at times)! (It's a perfect example that I am replying to this post so late even!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!