July 8, 2010

Nymeth: Special guest on 20 Questions!

20 Questions is a way to get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better. Today I am very excited to have Ana (aka Nymeth) from the awesome blog things mean a lot, where her writing and articulating skills continue to keep me striving to be better. I enjoy reading her blog and I enjoy having Ana as a blogging friend! Thank you for being here, Ana!

1. MY EARLIEST MEMORY OF READING:
This isn’t a reading memory per se, but one of my earliest bookish
memories is of getting lost at the Lisbon Book Fair, thinking I see my
father and running towards him, holding his hand, and then looking up
and realising I was in fact holding hands with a complete stranger. I
was about four, and I was completely mortified. Sadly I can’t remember
what happened next, or how I found my parents in the end.

2. THE FIRST BOOK I READ OVER AND OVER:
Probably Gods, Men and Monsters from the Greek Myths by Michael
Gibson
. It’s one of those books that helped shape my imagination, if
that makes sense. In addition to the stories, I really loved the
illustrations.

3. A CHILDREN’S BOOK EVERY CHILD SHOULD READ:
My Sweet-Orange Tree by José Mauro de Vasconcellos. This is a gorgeous
Brazilian children’s novel from 1968 whose English translation is
sadly out of print. I keep hoping it will be reissued.

4. THE BOOK I HAVE RE-READ THE MOST TIMES:
Either the book of Greek myths I mentioned above or Anne Frank’s
Diary. I was a serial re-reader as a child and young teen, probably
because I didn’t own many books and had no access to a public library.
Strangely enough, this is something I sometimes miss.

5. MY FAVORITE PLACE TO READ:
Either my comfy pouf or my bed.

6. MY MUST-HAVE READING ACCESSORIES:
Do my cats count? :P Seriously now, I always keep a pencil nearby when
I’m reading, to mark favourite passages or to write down thoughts I’ll
want to include in my posts.

7. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS I OWN (YOU CAN GUESS):
According to LibraryThing, 875. Oh dear.

8. MY BOOKSHELVES ARE:
…running out of space! I bet you’re not surprised to hear this :P

9. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST (THAT I HAVE NOT AQUIRED YET):
I actually have no idea, which might be for the best. I keep an Amazon
wishlist, another one at BookMooch, handwritten lists, .txt files with
titles of books I want to look up later, starred reviews on Google
Reader… I’d say well over 500, though. But I don’t mind, as it’s only
my actual physical TBR that’s a source of anxiety.

10. THE WAY I KEEP TRACK OF BOOKS I WANT TO READ:
Um, I think I accidentally answered this in the question above :P

11. THE LAST BOOK I RECEIVED/BOUGHT:
Atonement by Ian McEwan, received via the wonderful Bookmooch.

12. A BOOK THAT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE IN SOME WAY:
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides made me feel more at ease with certain
aspects of myself than ever before, in a sort of roundabout way. The
protagonist’s circumstances (s/he is a hermaphrodite) are very
different from mine, but the story still made me reassess my own life.
That’s part of the beauty of literature.

13. A BOOK I LIKE THAT NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO:
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green. Actually, saying no one else
seems to like it is a stretch, but many John Green fans seem to find
it disappointing, whereas I absolutely loved it.

14. A BOOK I DON’T LIKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE:
The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I hated that book with a passion,
even though at first glance it seems right up my alley.

15. A BOOK THAT INTIMIDATES ME:
Ulysses? Typical answer, but it’s true.

16. IF I COULD GO TO ANY LITERARY DESTINATION I WOULD CHOOSE:
The Shakespeare & Co. bookshop in Paris. It’s in my plans for later
this year, finances allowing. Hooray for budget travelling!

17. THREE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS:
Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett and Diana Wynne Jones.

18. I HAVE BEEN BLOGGING ABOUT BOOKS SINCE:
March 2007. Has it really been that long?

19. MY BOOK BLOG STANDS OUT FROM THE CROWD BECAUSE:
…it has a header full of fairies that immediately lets people know how
very silly, juvenile and frivolous I am ;) In all seriousness now, I
have no idea. I think that those who read my blog do so for the same
reason why I read other people’s blogs: because they like my voice.
And I’m immensely grateful for that.

20. THREE BOOK BLOGGERS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FEATURED IN THE FUTURE:
Jenny at Jenny’s Books, Amy at Amy Reads, and Iris at Iris on Books.

From Becca:
I loved reading your answers. First, your first memory of reading made me smile because at my sister's wedding this weekend several similar stories came up with her friends. You're not alone! lol Second, I need to put Possibly Gods, Men, and Monsters on my TBR list. If it helped shape your imagination, it seems like a definite read to me. Also, Ulysses is a typical answer because it is in fact a very challenging book even when you do get to reading it, as is my understanding. When I learned Marilyn Monroe read it, I had a new respect for her. Ulysses is an intimidating book to me as well.

Come Back for More-
Amy from My Friend Amy next week on 20 Questions!

23 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading Ana's answers! Now I need to check out Gods, Men and Monsters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for having me, Rebecca! And for being so patient even though it took me forever to answer these :P

    I wonder how good Gods, Men and Monsters actually IS :P My young self loved it, but that was my first introduction to Greek mythology (to ANY mythology) and so I had nothing to compare it too. The stories really captured me, but I wouldn't swear by the quality of the retellings. I'm not sure they're not good - I just don't know! And even if I re-read it, I bet it'll all be too coloured by nostalgia for me to be able to tell :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun stuff Ana! I liked An Abundance of Katherines too, but not Looking for Alaska, which I agree seems backwards from how a lot of people feel. Loved the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous post. Well done Ana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading Ana's answers! I've got An Abundance of Katherines and now I'm curious to see if I'll like it. Everyone reads Ana's blog because her reviews are so outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! Thank you very much, Becca & Ana. Edith Hamilton's Mythology is one I've read over and over. Mythology is to me like Shakespeare - timeless and evolving at once. Such an excellent foundation for readers and writers alike.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really think we need to have a Ulysses read-a-long. It sounds like we have the same thoughts on wish lists - don't combine them, keep them nice and separate so you never have to see the ridiculous total.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh, thank you Ana for listing me *blush*.

    Seriously though, great interview and great answers. What a mortifying memory, running up and grabbing the wrong man's hand - I would love to hear the end if you ever remember! Also, I do kind of miss the days of not owning many books and having access only to a very small and not well stocked library... re-reading books over and over again really was a treat. It is something that I really don't do enough any more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rebecca and Nymeth! I really enjoyed your interview. I've added your blog to my must reads!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ana is a wonderful blogger friend to everyone she encounters. Loved reading your answers Ana....my son Marc and I both adored Abundance of Katherines. That was our first John Green book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great answers! I love that 2/3 of her favorite authors are favorites of mine, too. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your answers Ana. I do hope you get to go to Shakespeare & Co. I loved it more than I could say and it was the highlight of my last trip to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading Ana's answers. Her blog is among my favorites!

    --Anna

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wonderful, fantastic Ana! Everyone loves Ana for her thoughtful posts and range of reading. Loved getting to know more about you, Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My earliest memory is eating chocolate cake on my second birthday. Mmmm, chocolate. ;)

    I wish I had a comfy pouf. :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is not enough time left in the day to list all the reasons I love to read Ana's blog! This was such fun to read. Thank you, Rebecca and Ana!

    And Ana, OMGosh--I sooooo have to get Gods, Men, and Monsters for Gray! I have a feeling you've just made one little boy very happy. :)

    Oh, and of course cats count! Is it even possible to read without them? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved reading this Ana!! Thanks for posting it, Rebecca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ana strikes me as anything BUT frivolous and silly!!

    And I'm even more curious to read Middlesex in August now that I've read her thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great interview! I love Ana's blog and she comes across just as charming and sweet here as she does on her wonderful website.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay for Nymeth! I love her voice (and her taste in books).

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my earliest memories is the exact opposite: I was about 2 1/2 or so and at a hotel pool with my dad. I got out of the pool and when I looked back, I didn't see my Dad, but a strange man. I didn't recognize him with his hair wet. I kept crying, "I want my daddy". Good thing there was nobody else there (according to my memory) or else people might've thought he was trying to kidnap me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am way late in responding, but I just had to pop over and say that I am even more excited to read Middlesex now! I've got it on my TBR stack. Gotta move it higher!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!