July 25, 2010

Fireworks Over Toccoa by Jeffrey Stepakoff


This book reminds me of Nicholas Sparks' dreamy small-town romances, but it also has a more sizzling side.

I really liked reading about Lily and Jake and their romance just after WWII. These parts were really interesting and I was invested in the story. I was less entranced by Lily's story with Paul, her husband who had gone off to war, but I am not sure why since this was an integral part of the story. There was a lot of going back and explaining the past, which was good, but I didn't care for the way it was done. I think I would have liked it better if the flashbacks were in separate chapters. There were headings but it just seemed haphazard and even random at times. There were scenes between Lily and Jake that were pretty hot. Jake was, well, completely dreamy. I'm just sayin'.

I think Fireworks Over Toccoa was a good read. Even if it wasn't a favorite, I think this author has a lot of potential and I would definitely try his next book.


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 43
RATING: 3 Stars
4 CHALLENGES: Countdown Challenge, Twenty Ten Challenge, New Authors Challenge, A to Z Titles Challenge, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: Chick-Lit, Contemporary Romance
PUBLISHER: St. Martin's Press
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/260
HEY, FCC!: Given to me for review by the publisher. I was not compensated in any other way.

5 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    This is the second review that compares it to Nicholas Sparks' novels. I can't say I'm very encouraged! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I am not anti-Nicholas Sparks, but this is definitely similar. If you don't like Sparks, you probably won't like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this - I pass Toccoa every time I go to my parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And isn't that just the prettiest cover ever?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this, but I'm not in any hurry to get around to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!