July 16, 2010

Adding to Mt. TBR thanks to Bloggers, Part 1

I have discovered SO SO many good books this week while catching up on my blog reading. In fact, I found so many I had to break this post up into 2 parts! Several bloggers gave me multiple books to add this week. Enough small talk- let's get to the books!

Book: Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs
Recommended by: Christy @ A Good Stopping Point
Christy was actually reviewing book 5 in the series but I want of course to read the first one first. She said:

Moon Called #1 (good introduction to the series, and the book that distracted me from ever finishing Twilight which I had out from the library at the same time. Moon Called was definitely the more interesting of the two.


Book: The Passage by Justin Cronin
Recommended by: Deb @ Book Magic

In 2014, the military experiments on twelve death row inmates, using a virus from a band of vampires in South America, to create nearly indestructible humans for warfare. Then they decide to try it on a small child, six-year old Amy, abandoned by her mother and left with nuns. But then the original twelve escape and the virus becomes an epidemic and the country is in chaos. The FBI agent that brought Amy to the military compound tries to save her and heads for the mountains.
Fast forward 100 years to a colony in Northern California, where people were brought by the army. They don't know if anyone is left alive in the country or world except the "virals" who come out at night. They are only safe because they have powerful battery operated lights that keep the virals away, but they know it is a matter of time before the batteries die. Then Amy finds her way to the colony and they have to make a difficult decision.

Book: Siren by Trisha Rayburn
Recommended by: Michelle @ Galleysmith
She said:
In a market filled with vampires, werewolves and other supernatural and paranormal creatures Siren was a refreshing step away into the land of the deep sea. Set in a small lake-side town in Maine the Sands sisters are preparing for their last summer of fun with the Carmichael brothers before Justine heads off to college. The only problem is that this sleepy town is now ground zero for a rash of sea-based deaths, including Justine’s own. Light on the town’s history and mermaid-ish folklore, Siren had the perfect mix of romance, suspense and action. For me, this made the story all that more enjoyable. I received just the right amount of information to understand the story without being hit over the head with interesting but needless facts...Rayburn crafted an excellent mystery and wrote it beautifully. Depth of emotion was not in short supply. Power and control were large parts of the main theme...Pacing of the story was fantastic. It wasn’t too slow but didn’t rush to tell us everything in the first chapter.


Book: Out of Shadows by Jason Wallace
Recommended by: Stephanie @ Laughing Stars
She said:
"If I stood you in front of a man, pressed a gun into your palm and told you to squeeze the trigger, would you do it? No, Sir, No way! What if I then told you we’d gone back in time and his name was Adolf Hitler? Would you do it then?"

This question is posed in Out of the Shadows, a dark, thought provoking historical novel for young adults that closely explores people’s motivations for violence and evil. Though this was a quick read for me, I suspect parts of the story will continue to gnaw at me, sticking in my memory for a long time.


Book: Female Nomad and Friends by Rita Golden Gelman
Recommended by: Stephanie @ Laughing Stars
Reading all the excerpts Stephanie included from the book is what made me want to read this book.

Book: Half Life by Roopa Farooki
Recommended by: Stephanie @ Laughing Stars
She said:
The writing in this novel is absolutely beautiful. All the threads of the story mingle smoothly, and it’s rich with metaphors and literary and poetic allusions. The novel deals with disturbing themes, including death, suicide, mental illness, addiction and incest. It also explores the turmoil in India in the wake of English colonialism and the bloody civil war in Pakistan. The characters were vibrantly drawn...Because of the author’s gorgeous writing and vibrant storytelling ability, I will find this book hard to forget. And the forays into Asian history and culture added another dimension, making it much more interesting. I recommend it to people who enjoy multicultural fiction and knotty family stories.

Book: The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers
Recommended by: Staci @ Life in the Thumb
She said:
Randy Susan Meyers has crafted a world that pulls you in page by page and will not give you up until the very last word. Once I started this book I had a hard time putting it down.


Book: Disrupting Grace by Kristen Richburg
Recommended by: Staci @ Life in the Thumb
She said:
This is the story of Kristen's experience with adoption of a child who suffers from Reactive Attachment Disorder/and multiple bonding issues and the traumatic decision to disrupt the adoption after four years. Many people think that love is all a child needs, but that is not true. I know...I lived Kristen's life for 5 years...and it was life altering and not in a good way.

Book: Based Upon Availability by Alix Strauss
Recommended by: Trish @ Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'?
She said:
The strength of Based Upon Availability is in the author’s ability to convey a character’s deepest fears, anxieties and insecurities within a few short pages...There wasn’t a single woman that my heart didn’t reach out for. It’s such a cliche to say how ‘raw’ the book was, but I really felt like the emotions and insecurities were so close to the surface that if I reached out, I might be able to touch them and see what they feel like.

Book: The Book of Awesome by Neil Pasricha
Recommended by: Alea @ Pop Culture Junkie
She said:
I'd have to say I agreed with about 99% of the things he declared awesome, this guy has great taste. Some of my favorites include: Fixing electronics by smacking them, When you're really tired and about to fall asleep and someone throws a blanket on you, and Terrible businesses run by children. There is so much here!

Part 2 of Adding to Mt. TBR coming soon...

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree about Moon Called - It's also the first book in the series, LOL and an important first book. I really enjoy this series, and I think the books get better with each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's dangerous to read blogs when you have a book addiction! LOL It looks like I need to check out Laughing Stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few of these books on my TBR list because of other bloggers! I love that blogging (and bloggers) have expanded my reading comfort zone so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post because there were so many great ones you highlighted. Being addicted to books is a good thing!! Thanks so much for the 2 shout-outs...glad to see that I can enable others..LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I've been a bad influence this week. :-P Kinda makes me feel proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Passage" was epic!! But knowing you, it will take months and months for you to read it!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Hope you enjoy Siren as much as I did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Out of Shadows and Half Life are both on my radar too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!