July 22, 2010

20 Questions: Nicole from Linus's Blanket!

This week I am happy to have Nicole of Linus's Blanket to answer the 20 questions and get to know her a little better. In addition to enjoying Nicole's blog I also like Nicole's radio podcast, That's How I Blog! I am impressed with everyone who Nicole has on the show. I myself, don't give good phone. No, I am much wittier in person when you can see my facial expressions and wild hand movements while I talk. But I digress.







1. MY EARLIEST MEMORY OF READING: I had little picture books and the first that I remember is Hansel and Gretel. I still remember the shiny and rippled version that my cover had.
2. THE FIRST BOOK I READ OVER AND OVER: The Wednesday Witch by Ruth Chew. And even though it is a children's book, I have read it a few times as an adult as well!

3. A CHILDREN’S BOOK EVERY CHILD SHOULD READ: The Boxcar Children, by Gertrude Warner Chandler. It's a fun book and works for both boys and girls. I just gave it to a friend of mine at her baby shower and told her it was worth the wait for when her little boy is older.

4. THE BOOK I HAVE RE-READ THE MOST TIMES: Probably Pride and Prejudice. I would like to be able to re-read more than I do, but I have read this one more than a few times over the years and it has been interesting to see my response to it change over the years.

5. MY FAVORITE PLACE TO READ: I have a small sofa in my bedroom that I love to read on, but most often I read in the bed. I usually have a book everywhere I go, so also on the train and in lines. Standing in line at the post office or the grocery store doesn't bother me when I have my book.
6. MY MUST-HAVE READING ACCESSORIES: I have been known to read with a big bowl of popcorn by my side, and after the popcorn I need water.
7. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS I OWN (YOU CAN GUESS): I had done a game with some bloggers and whittled my books down to a slim 300 books, but in just a few months I am back up to 500+. BEA played a big role in that.
8. MY BOOKSHELVES ARE: longing for the days when they weren't double stacked and overstocked!
9. THE NUMBER OF BOOKS ON MY TBR LIST (THAT I HAVE NOT ACQUIRED YET): My TBR is pretty much books that I have already acquired. I don't really keep lists of what I want because I would be in even more trouble than I am now as far as the number of books that I own
.
10. THE WAY I KEEP TRACK OF BOOKS I WANT TO READ: I have lists of what I need to be reading at certain times - like for book clubs, readalongs, etc- but I want to read everything I own so I really don't have a list like that.
11. THE LAST BOOK I RECEIVED/BOUGHT: Rowan The Strange, by Julie Hearn and Lost by Jacqueline Davies. I'm reading them to judge for the Nerds Heart YA competition.
12. A BOOK THAT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE IN SOME WAY: Toni Morrison's Beloved really opened my eyes to how well done and intricate books could be. I marveled, and still do, by the way that book unfolded.

13. A BOOK I LIKE THAT NO ONE ELSE SEEMS TO: I haven't run across that book yet. Of course something will probably come to me much, much later.

14. A BOOK I DON’T LIKE THAT EVERYONE ELSE SEEMS TO LOVE: Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro; Little Bee, by Chris Cleave

15. A BOOK THAT INTIMIDATES ME: I don't know that I am intimidated by Ulysses by James Joyce, but it's definitely a book that everyone says they don't understand or requires a lot. I can't say that I have much desire to read it after what I have heard about it.

16. IF I COULD GO TO ANY LITERARY DESTINATION I WOULD CHOOSE: That's a hard one because I have been to quite a few of them already. Maybe Prince Edward Island. I am a big Anne of Green Gables fan, and I was excited to learn this year that it is on the East Coast of North America- for some reason I thought it was to the west like Vancouver.
17. THREE OF MY FAVORITE AUTHORS: Toni Morrison, William Faulkner, Mildred Taylor
18. I HAVE BEEN BLOGGING ABOUT BOOKS SINCE: I started in 2008 on the last day of May.

19. MY BOOK BLOG STANDS OUT FROM THE CROWD BECAUSE: I haven't figured that out yet, but I do my best to read books that I think I will enjoy and write about them to the best of my ability. I also like to post pictures of meals I come across in books. Food helps everything!

20. THREE BOOK BLOGGERS I WOULD LIKE TO SEE FEATURED IN THE FUTURE: Danielle at There's a Book, Allie from Hist-Fic Chick, Natasha from Maw Books


Thanks so much for sharing today, Nicole! I can't say I share your resolve not to make lists of books you want. My Goodreads TBR is out of control. Also, I think the way you write your reviews makes your blog stand out because you really have a way with words.

Who's in the 20 Questions Hot Seat Next?

Elena from With Extra Pulp
Trish from Hey Lady! Whatcha Readin'?


15 comments:

  1. Ooh -- Prince Edward Island! That's a good one. Thanks for the great interview, Ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole,

    Loved the interview~

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see someone else didn't like Never Let Me Go - I thought I was the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PEI would make a great location for the next Book Blogger Convention. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading Nicole's answers - her blog stands out because she's so smart and articulate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PEI is a great place to visit, especially in the summer! I'm impressed that you had whittled your books down to only 300!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicole, come visit me in PEI already!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got a copy of The Boxcar Children for my son at our library's book sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview! I too had no idea what the geography of Canada looked like (well, until adulthood, anyway), and I want to visit PEI eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic interview! I'm a hand waver and gesturer when I talk too. Even when I'm on the phone, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been so long since I've thought about the Boxcar Children. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy your literary feast feature...P&P is such a great book. Everytime I try to read in bed the next thing I know I'm getting hit in the head with my book!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the answers! 500 books on your shelves - wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved getting to know more about you from your answers. I'm with you on having popcorn handy when I read. Some people watch movies and eat popcorn, I read and eat popcorn! Thanks to Rebecca for asking the questions!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah!!! I am so glad to see another Boxcar Children fan!!!! I've got to check out Nicole's blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!