June 4, 2010

The Truth Lies in the Dark by Kristen Callender


As the title suggests, this story is about uncovering secrets that the people closest to you your entire life have been keeping from you. Not just any secrets, either.

HUGE secrets.

Secrets about your past that you have no memory of--- the plane crash that killed your parents and left you with no memory of life before the accident, what happened in the hospital while you were in a coma between your grandparents and a man named Dom, why you have nightmares about a fire.

I thought the book was well-written and the characters were well-developed. I thought the book moved quickly, which is perfect in a mystery. I saw some of the conclusion coming, but there were a couple of extra tweeks at the end that surprised me and left me feeling satisfied with the story.

I hope that we see more from Kristen Callender. I think she is a writer to watch out for. (And check out the artwork for the cover that was done by her 17-year-ld son, Michael.)


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 34
RATING: 4 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: ARC Challenge, Countdown Challenge, New Authors Challenge, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: Fiction, Crime Novel
PUBLISHER: Bluewater Press (c) 2008
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/171
HEY, FCC!: I won this book in an ARC contest.

7 comments:

  1. That's amazing artwork for a 17 yr old! This looks like a great read. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool about the artwork!! And I hope no one is hiding big secrets from me ... I couldn't handle it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a song--If Silence Means That Much to You by Emma Pollock.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good read and an author I've never heard of until today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the heads up on what sounds to be a compelling read. That is really cool that her teenage son did the cover art for her book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book some time ago as well. I didn't realize that her son designed the book cover though. Kudos to him!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!