June 21, 2010

BBAW: I'm Taking the Plunge!


After much prodding and nudging from you- my readers and my friends- I have decided to enter the BBAW Awards after all.

I have decided against my initial instinct, though, which was to enter in the Eclectic Blog category. Instead, I am entering for Best Nonfiction Blog. I was also thought of for Cultural Book Blog, but it says a focus on "one specific culture", which I don't do. I focus on all cultures, so that won't work. I do read a ton of nonfiction, more than most, so I figure this is probably a good niche for me.

I find it absolutely stressful to select my own posts. I mean, what I think is a good post and what someone else thinks is a good reflection are totally subjective and varied. So, I have selected what I think is my best work and some variety in the work, and hopefully you agree!

Here are the five posts I have chosen:

1. Wherein Thoreau inspires me to speak my mind: Civil Disobedience Book Review.

2. This post was on how to create your own family memoirs and had some recommendations for nonfiction children's books to keep you entertained and inspired during Family Stories Month.

3. I used images to help put a visual to the religion with this review of a book on Hinduism by Kim Knott.

4. This book review is an example of a very typical nonfiction review that I write: The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner

5. Jen Lancaster's Bitter is the New Black absolutely cracked me up. I loved writing this review almost as much as reading the book.

I hope that these five posts are able to showcase my writing for the nonfiction niche. I am very honored at any rate to be able to be placed in the same category as book bloggers I admire and look up to. The bloggers and readers out there are what it is all about. That, and the absolute obsessiveness I have with books. :)

14 comments:

  1. Great selection of posts Rebecca. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're pretty deserving, so best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I'm glad you decided to enter. Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I still feel a little bit strange with the "self-registration" process, but I'm glad you've take n the initiative to go for it! Nice selection of posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for taking the plunge! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you for taking the plunge and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're entering! And I loved the civil disobedience post--great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't enter because of the posting. I didn't want to throw out a post in the feed readers of all my non blogging readers saying "LOOK HOW AWESOME I AM". I thought it was a ridiculous way to nominate and my husband actually guffawed. Maybe we are from the tech generation but I feel book bloggers are so behind the times sometimes. I didn't want my readers who are not bloggers to have to read this type of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you registered in the non-fiction category. I think your non-fic discussions are always great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah!!!! Best of luck to you!! In my opinion, you are definitely in the running!! I love your nonfiction reviews and posts!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!