May 16, 2010

TSS: Book Review: I'll Mature When I'm Dead by Dave Barry

"Throughout this book, I have tried to be as honest and accurate as possible, except when I'm lying."

I love Dave Barry. I was laughing out loud reading his crazy takes on adulthood (whether or not he was acting like an adult). The essay "Tips for Visiting Miami" had to be my favorite. Absolutely hilarious. I mean, what to do when someone takes a shark on the train? (Oh, this actually happened, too.) Too funny.

The only essay I kind of skimmed was "The Ultimate Script" because, honestly, I didn't care. He told about making the fluke of a script, which was great, but I didn't really have an interest in reading the thing. (Yawn.)

The graphs Barry uses to illustrate his point about some thing or another are hysterical. So is the use of Nick Nolte's mug shot. Lmao!

If you like Dave Barry's humor, this book will not disappoint!


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 30
RATING: 4 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: Countdown Challenge, TwentyTen Challenge, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: Humor, Essays
PUBLISHER: G.P. Putnam's Sons
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback Uncorrected Proof/254
HEY, FCC!: I honestly cannot find how I got this book, but I am assuming it was from the author or a PR company.

6 comments:

  1. I love Dave Barry so I don't know why I don't read more of his work. I need to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Dave Barry is hilarious, so I really want to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick Nolte's booking photo - ughhh - has got to be the worst celeb mug shot ever. Now I'm curious to read why it's in Barry's book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added this one to my list. I've read a previous book by him, and laughed hard many times throughout. I expect this to much of the same, just new material.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading his "The Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need" right now (a bit dated) and it just cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What was that TV show that was based on Dave Barry's columns?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!