May 7, 2010

Recovering My Voice: A Memoir of Chaos, Spirituality, and Hope by Aruni Nan Futuronsky


One of the most interesting and uplifting memoirs I have read, Futuronsky's Recovering My Voice is a book that will stay with me. Futuronsky suffered from gender confusion, a failed marriage, drug addiction and that is just the tip of the iceberg. With the help of AA, yoga, and an ashram located in the Berkshires, Futuronsky found herself on a life-changing spiritual journey.

I love the way Futuronsky writes. I love how she writes probably much like she would talk if we sat down and had a conversation. I like how open and honest and humble she is about her life's experiences. I love that she quotes Jewish liturgy, Taoism, and Musique. I liked the short chapters (imagine that!) and I just really loved how down to earth she was whether she was recalling her stuttering or her time with radical lesbian feminists or how she would always be her mother's daughter.

The book is just full of good quotations and inspirations, too. I recommend this book to anyone who likes memoirs and to anyone who has been through life-changing experiences and has (or wants to) come out on the other side.


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 25
RATING: 4 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: 100+ in 2010, ARC Challenge, Indi Authors Challenge, A to Z Challenge, Countdown Challenge, Memoir Challenge
GENRE: Nonfiction, Memoir
PUBLISHER: Self-published with iUniverse.com (c) 2008
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/304
HEY, FCC!: I received this book from Penny Sansevieri at Author Marketing Experts, Inc. for review purposes. I was not compensated for this review.

2 comments:

  1. It really is a book for me, 100%. I can tell from your thoughts on it. I also love honest but humble voices in memoirs and I just soak up uplifting stories like a sponge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... this is a lot of issues to have to deal with!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!