May 4, 2010

Live Fast, Die Young: My Life with James Dean by John Gilmore


James Dean is an American entertainment icon, to be sure. Adding to his acting talent is the tragedy of an early death at the age of 24.  When I picked up this book I didn't really know any more about James Dean than these facts and I had watched two of his movies.  So I found out a lot that I never knew.

The author, John Gilmore, writes from the perspective of one of Dean's closest pals, plus interviews with some of his other close friends.  Everything from Dean's relationships with both women and men to the extent of his adventurous spirit and experiences that ultimately led to him accidentally killing himself.

If you are curious about Dean and want to learn about his crazy exploits and inside conversations with those closest to him, then this is a very good book to read.


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 22
RATING: 3.5 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES:100+ in 2010, We Didn't Start the Fire Challenge, Support Your Local Library, A to Z Challenge
GENRE: Biography
PUBLISHER: Thunder's Mouth Press (c) 1998
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/272
HEY, FCC!: I got this from the library.

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha, don't I feel culturally illiterate. I knew James Dean had died young but I had no idea he was THAT young. Mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things James Dean. Am adding this to my list! Good review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess about the only thing I know about James Dean is that he died in a car accident here in California. I loved him in East of Eden. I'd probably enjoy at least paging through this book to read more about his life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really know anything about James Dean either. Wow ... 24. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I look at Dean and think that he's really only average looking and then he moves or changes expressions and "wow!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever I see a Spider, I think of James Dean...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!