May 7, 2010

It Happened One Night by Lisa Dale


So I was asked to review a chick-lit/romance novel and decided to give it a try. While this is not a genre I usually enjoy, I thought I would try it again, especially since Tasha has been absolutely bugging me to read a romance novel. ;)

I didn't want to go the Harlequin route so I thought this would be a good book to start with. The novel centers around two sisters, Lana and Karin. The sisters own a flower shop in Vermont. Karin is married and has been trying to have a baby for a long time and is pretty much obsessed with it. Lana is single and one night sleeps with a man she has been on a few dates with. Lana ends up pregnant. Of course, Lana can't tell the one person she wants to- Karin- because she knows how devestating the news would be. Lana got pregnant without trying and Karin can't get pregnant? Too much.

So she turns to her best friend, Eli. Soon she realizes she has feelings for Eli deeper than friendship, but has a very hard time giving her heart away to him. Even as Eli helps her with the pregnancy and stands up for her admist the rumors and suggestions in their small town, Lana still has no idea what to do. Should she keep the baby? Will Karin ever forgive her for getting pregnant? Could she really have a life with Eli? And could she have a life with Eli and the baby of another man?

All of these are good questions and Lisa Dale addresses them well. I really liked that the characters were kind of dorks. I liked that the girls were obsessed with flowers and gardens. I liked that Eli wore glasses. I liked that instead of generic chapters the novel was broken down into months and dates diary-style. It helps you keep track of time in the pregnancy and lets you know how much time has passed between events while not explicitly having to say it.

Although it isn't a book that has ended up in my favorites pile, it is a book that is a cute, light read when you feel a need for some chick-lit coming on or you have a need for a heartwarming story.


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 24
RATING: 3 Stars
FOR CHALLENGES: 100+ in 2010, ARC Challenge, New Authors, Countdown Challenge
GENRE: Fiction, Romance, Chick-Lit
PUBLISHER: Forever by Hachette Book Group
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/350
HEY, FCC!: I received this book for review from the publishing company. I was not monetarily compensated for this review.

9 comments:

  1. This sounds predictable, but cute. It might make a good beach book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I guess: she gives the baby to her sister?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I do have to say--chick lit is not romance. But I'm glad you liked it. :)

    You should read a Jade Lee book! Now there's a romance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for going out of your genre. Sounds like a romance-chick-lit combo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I've been recommended this one, but since I usually don't read romance either, I've been hesitant. Maybe I'll give it a try if I need something cute?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big chick lit fan either, but I'm going to try one for the Take a Chance Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a cute brain candy kinda book. I would give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And of course I forgot to leave my information-lol!
    Tammy Dahle
    Mug of Moxie
    tmdahle@centurytel.net
    I would love to win this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I travel a lot and this might be good for a quick read on a flight :)

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!