May 1, 2010

Is There a Monster Over There? by Sally O. Lee


Is There a Monster Over There? is a cute picture book by Sally O. Lee that helps children realize that monsters are nothing to be afraid of! Mabel and her cat, Tiffany, stop worrying about and being scared by monsters and begin checking out exactly what a monster is like. Oh, he has fur on his body. And oh, the scales on his back are smooth.

Then she realizes that the monster is just as scared of her as she is of him. So she invites him to a tea party and they play together and are no longer scared of each other.

This story really puts being scared of monsters into perspective and would be a good book for any child who has a scary monster under their bed or in their closet. It is also just a cute book to read for any child.

I liked that the little girl's name was Mabel and the cat's name was Tiffany. I like how the cat had a name that is usually given to a child character and Mabel had a name that is not common and could be a cat's name. I loved that it was reversed like that, whether that was a conscious thought on the part of the author or not.

The only problem I had with this book is I wish the title was not in cursive. It looks pretty and is attention-grabbing, but a child cannot pick out the letters in the title and learn to read it if it is in cursive.

Other than that, I really enjoyed the story. Pick it up for your child and scare away the monsters in their life!

THE STATISTICS:
RATING: 5 Stars
BOOK #: 21
RECOMMENDED BY: n/a
CHALLENGES: Young Readers Challenge, 100+ in 2010 Challenge, A to Z
PUBLISHER:
GENRES: Children's Picture Book
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/
HEY, FCC!: I received this book for review from Bostick Communications.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like something I should get for my son! Great review.

    We have another one by her and he likes it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute book...one that I would read if my boys were little again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one looks cute! And, it has nothing to do with the cat having the same name as me!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great book! You should link your review to Booking Mama's Kid's Konnection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a cute story. I'll look for it on library day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always on the fence about books like this because Z was never scared of anything and I wondered if reading books that showed other kids that were afraid of the dark or monsters or whatever would plant the idea in his head that there was something to be afraid of (even if the characters overcome it). I over-analyze things a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like something Trisha would enjoy. Thanks!

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. So silly. everyone knows monsters are in the basement, not under a bed. Kids... the things they think

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!