May 12, 2010

Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster


Jen Lancaster cracks me up.

Whether she is talking about her dog being scared of the back yard, the leak coming through a big hole in the kitchen ceiling, or her neighbor who let an old friend from high school stay with her instead of going to a rehab facility and ends up stealing from her, I am absolutely laughing my ass off.

What I love about her is that on the one hand she is completely snarky and sarcastic, and on the other hand she is completely vulnerable and goofy and has a good heart inside.

This is the second book I've read by her, Bitter is the New Black, of course being the first. I didn't like it as much as Bitter, but I did still enjoy it as "laughing my ass off" clearly explains. :)

And I am super excited because Jenners is going to send me her third book when she is done (just like she has sent me these 2, doesn't she rock?) and then Amy is going to send me her 4th and 5th books because I love them and they aren't her favorite style of book. How sweet is that!

Here are some clever and funny excerpts that can stand on their own to demonstrate why I think you will like this book as much as I do.

"No one likes watching TV with my mother because of her urge to narrate the whole program, as though you're blind and require blow-by-blow descriptions. Plus, since she's busy telling you what she sees, she isn't paying attention to what's said and then you have to explain what just happened. Every. Thirty. Seconds."

(Below she is an e-mail to her friends)
"Ladies,

Brace yourselves.

For I have horrible news.

Fletch (her husband) has taken it upon himself to start cooking again. By using multiple burners and the oven, he raised the temperature in here from a manageable seventy-six to an unpleasant eighty-six last night. (We have central AC, but it's no match for hundred-degree temperatures
and Fletch's cooking.)

So, what did he prepare that was worth ten degrees and a portion of my sanity?

BLT pasta.

Mmm-hmm, that's right.

Bacon, lettuce, and tomato pasta.

And what's better on a scorching day than a big bowl of hot lettuce and sweaty tomatoes coated in a thin sheen of bacon grease?

While discussing our dinner plans for tonight, he mentioned he might use the leftover lettuce to whip up some soup...which neatly answers the question whether there's anything
less appealing than hot lettuce pasta on a sweltering summer day.

Send help.

Or pizza.

Jen"


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 28
RATING: 4 Stars
6 CHALLENGES: Random Reading Challenge, RYOB Challenge, Memoir Challenge, Countdown Challenge, TwentyTen, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: Memoir, Humor
PUBLISHER: New American Library, a division of Penguin Group
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/382
HEY, FCC!: I was given this book by a friend.

13 comments:

  1. A friend loaned me the first two books some time ago, but I just can't get into it. I've read the first few chapters, but something isn't meshing for me. Clearly this is a problem with me as everyone I know loves these books. Perhaps I just have to be in the right mood to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quotes you provided are really funny and definitely my kind of humor. I think I even own Such a Pretty Fat by her which i should now read to make myself feel better about my own significant pregnancy weight (and I'm not talking 10 or 15 pounds here either) that just doesn't budge and my baby is already 4 months old :(

    Anyway, great review, seems like an author right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Bitter is the New Black about five years ago and laughed the whole time. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten around to reading any of her follow ups - but you've reminded me that I must do that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a series I would really like. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    Hilarious excerpt! I know I wouldn't mind trying to whip up some BLT pasta. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds hilarious! Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a complete riot and the snippets you shared has made me want to get my hands on the first one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, this sound HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE Jen's books!!! She has yet to come anywhere near Florida for her tours, but when she does I'll definitely be going!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound great - I'm off to Amazon to see what I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a funny and feisty protagonist:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unlike others I know (cough cough), I breeze through these books so as soon as my review obligrations are done, I'll breeze through it and get it in the mail!

    Thanks for reminding me how funny she is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm waiting for My Fair Lazy to arrive from Amazon! I loved Bitter but wasn't sure about this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!