May 18, 2010

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne


So, I've been trying for weeks to come up with a review for this book that does it justice without giving away any spoilers. I just cannot write anything remotely as good as the reviews I have seen by other bloggers. I bow humbly at your way with words, fellow bibliophiles!

All I can say is that this book is a very emotionally-driven book. There was longing, thoughtfulness, innocence, despair, kindness, love, confusion, joy, anger, hope- the whole gamut. It was a fantastic story about the Holocaust and I really recommend it to everyone who likes to read about this time in history or who likes a really good, heart-tugging story.

I also watched this movie and the movie is really very well done. I recommend it as well.

I will now direct you to a review by Tif at Tif Talks Books that is much superior to my own so you can really get a feel for this book.

Here are other reviews I found worth checking out:

Book Chatter and Other Stuff...

Books on the Brain

Melody's Reading Corner

Worducopia

Bermudaonion's Weblog

Jo-Jo Loves to Read

Maw Books Blog

Musings of a Bookish Kitty

Laughing Stars

Shelf Love

Book Addiction


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 31
RATING: 4.5 Stars
7 CHALLENGES: Year of the Historical, Countdown Challenge, YA Challenge, Support Your Local Library, TwentyTen Challenge, New Authors, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: Historical Fiction, War, Literary Fiction, Young Adult
PUBLISHER: David Fickling Books (c) 2006
FORMAT/PAGES: Hardcover/224
HEY, FCC!: I borrowed this book from the library.

16 comments:

  1. I'm planning to read this finally for MotherReader's 48 hour Book Challenge. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the book and the movie. I was totally unprepared for what was to come when I listened to the audio book...yikes

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason I still just can't decide if I want to read this one! I hear people say it's lovely, but because of the spoiler factor, I don't even know what the book's about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this book was great, but haven't seen the movie. Thanks for linking to my review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to see the movie but the book knocked my socks off...very emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was one of my most memorable reads... I was totally blown away by the premise. I need to watch the movie!

    Thanks for adding my link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, this book was terribly difficult to review because I was afraid that I wouldn't do it proper justice. However, it was an INCREDIBLE book. I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great review! I remember I was home from work one day when I read this, and when I was finished I just laid my book down and cried for probably 10 minutes. Thanks for linking up my review also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read the book, but the movie made me cry my eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book remains on my top 10 list. I remember reading the end, and thinking I must have read it wrong. I went back and reread the ending, and was completely shocked. I highly recommend this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There's a movie of this book already? I thought it just came out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will take your word for it. This is a book I need to read.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been meaning to read this one. I saw the movie and bawled my eyes out at the end.

    I hope it's okay to link to your post on the WWII book reviews page on War Through the Generations. I'll get it on the site soon.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  14. *Blushing*

    You are too kind!!!

    I just love, love, love this book!! It is such a powerful read and I would totally recommend it to all. And, I agree . . . the movie was very well done! Bawled my eyes out on that one too . . . just in the comfort of my own home instead of in my car at a stop light!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought your summary of this book was lovely. :-) I agree that it's hard to review without spoilers.

    By the way, my review has moved here. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!