May 25, 2010

Books You Thought You'd Hate But Ended Up Loving!

The Book List is just a short and fun meme that allows you to share books and make a list of books! Who doesn't love lists?!?



This Week's Topic is the brain child of Cristina aka Enbrethiliel of the blog Shredded Cheddar:

3 Books You Thought You'd Hate But Ended Up Loving

My List:

1. Scared by Tom Davis
It wasn't that I thought I would hate it, persay, because I was intrigued by the book summary. But I have never been very impressed with Christian Fiction- I always found it preachy. This book was the exception to every other CF book I've read. I LOVED this book. I recommend reading it. If you want to read my review, it is here.

2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Fitzgerald is one of my fave writers but I actually watched the movie before I read this short story. The movie was so L-O-N-G. It started out very interesting and then I just could not have cared less after an hour and a half and there was still, oh, an hour and a half or so to go. So, I didn't have high expectations for the story when I went to read it to fulfill part of a challenge last year. But I really enjoyed the story. It was exactly the length it needed to be. And all I kept thinking was how do you turn a short story into a 3 hour movie?? My review of the short story and the movie BB is here.

3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Speaking of Fitzgerald, I first fell in love with his writing in high school reading this book. In high school you read so much that doesn't seem to affect you that I had no different expectations for this book. However, I really loved this book! In fact, it is still one of my favorite books ten...er..eleven years later. I think my teacher (who by nearly everyone in the school was an awesome teacher) really got a kick out of the fact I loved it because I was the only one in the class who said they did.

So what about you? What books surprised you when you read them? Was it a book from school? Was it a book in a genre you don't normally read? Was it a book by an author you thought you'd dislike? I'd love to read your list!!
  • Write a post on your blog that is a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic above. It can be super short or long & windy. Choose your own M.O. :)
  • You link back to the week's post here on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here. Then you come here and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list!
  • There is no obligation to post every single week. Participate when you can!
Join in!




8 comments:

  1. Hmm, the only ones I can think of are Broken Sword (which my mom bought for me) and The Age of Innocence. Oh, and I also thought Twilight would really suck but ended up enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the movie of Benjamin Button ... but I have yet to read the story. It was hard for me to believe it was a short story!

    And I love your choice for the Gatsby cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only think of one book so far - (so I'm not going to post about it, just comment on your blog)

    Sins & Shadows by Lyn Benedict. When I started reading it, the first few pages had me thinking that it wasn't going to be very good. It almost read like a very first book by a young, very young writer. I even put it down for awhile. A few weeks (or longer, forget now) later I picked it back up and read past the first chapter and that book kicked-ass. I loved the gritty anger of the main character. The rest of the book was so great that I just bought the second in the series. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this when I admit that I have never read Fitzgerald because I think I won't like any of his books? But that's a whole 'nother list!

    How about a 3 Desert Island Books list?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never read The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, but I loved the film. Maybe I'll give it a try...

    Thanks for hosting this meme! I always have fun compiling my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember your review of Sacred. I liked it so much that I put the book on my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could only think of one book, hardly a list, but it's a surprising one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea! I've never taken part in this Meme before but I love lists so it is definitely for me. Have you done a vice-versa version of this list (ie Books I Thought I'd Love but Ended Up Hating)? I could certainly rattle off a few of them too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!