May 12, 2010

Blue Bloods (Book #1) by Melissa de la Cruz


I am writing this review as the character of Schuyler Van Alen for the Take Another Chance Challenge #10, which is to write a review from a character's point of view. I hope you like it!

Hi, I'm Schulyler. I'm fifteen and I've been living in NYC all my life. My whole family is from here going generations back. Maybe you've heard of us? The Van Alen's? Yep, that's me. Of course, it is just me and my grandmother, Cordelia, now. My father died when I was little and my mother has been in a coma since I was young, too. I live with Cordelia. (She makes me call her by her name.)

I go to this private school called Duchesne. It's very prestigious and selective. Even though my family is rich, I have never fit in with the others here. They are all Prada and Gucci and I prefer clothes from consignment shops. My two friends, Oliver and Dylan, and I are outcasts.

But one thing rocked our whole school recently. A classmate, Aggie, died. And not just that but she was murdered. Nothing like this ever happens here. This only happens at public schools, right? How can this be true? But Jack Force has told me it's true. I can't believe Jack even knows who I am and I don't know why he has chosen to confide in me. But, hey, he is pretty cute, so who am I to complain? Besides, Oliver is doing enough of that for me. But the more we all look into what happened to Aggie, the weirder things get.

In fact, things get so weird that my life is forever changed. I find out that I am not just New York "royalty", but I am actually a Blue Blood- a vampire. That's right. I am vampire royalty. Of course you can imagine this came as a total shock. I mean, I knew strange stuff was starting to happen to me- veins on my arm were rising and I was seeing stuff that couldn't possibly have happened- but a vampire? WTF?

But, it's true. But see vampires aren't like they are in the movies and in those Anne Rice novels. We've been totally duping humans for centuries. Vampires don't live in secret lairs. Nope, we are living among humans. We just don't advertise it. We don't even know we are vampires until we are 15 anyway. It's this big secret until the changes (like the veins) start happening. We don't have fangs hanging from the front of their mouths, either. That's just crazy! No, they are actually in the back of our mouths next to our molars. And get this- we came over to America on the Mayflower. No, seriously. There's this whole history to us.

So, here's the thing. I am not the only one who is a vampire at Duchesne. The "popular" crowd is actually made up of Blue Bloods. So, suddenly I am thrust into the exclusive social circle with Jack (yep, he's one too) and his twin sister, Mimi (who, just between us, is a complete bitch), Mimi's friend Bliss, oh, and Aggie- the girl who was murdered.

Wait. Vampires can't die. The Committee just told me that! We just recycle into another life after about a hundred years. How can Aggie be dead?

Well, because something is preying on us and Aggie is not the only casualty. I have got to find out what is going on. This is going to be dangerous and scary but the only way we are going to be able to survive is if we uncover who or what wants us dead. And, unfortunately, vampires are the most vulnerable when we are fifteen....


THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 27
RATING: 4.5 Stars
8 CHALLENGES:
Take Another Chance, 1st in a Series, The Colorful Challenge, TwentyTen, New Authors, Countdown Challenge, YA Reading Challenge, 100+ in 2010
GENRE: Fiction, Fantasy, YA, Series
PUBLISHER: Hyperion
FORMAT/PAGES: Paperback/302
HEY, FCC!: I bought this book, thank you very much.

6 comments:

  1. This was a fun way to review the book! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool review. I like it. I love this series. The take on the angels and blue and silver bloods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to thank you very much for reviewing this. I have been very very - let me add another one - very curious with this series and I have been seeing at my favorite bookstore for ages and yet I don't have anything to push me to pick the first book up and bring it to the cashier. Now I have one. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this review style, it definitely convinced me to give this book a read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this style of reviewing the book. It actually made me want to read the book more than a traditional review would have done I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great review, Rebecca! Hey, you should be a writer. ;)

    Wouldn't it be cool if there was an entire blog of character-driven reviews?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!