May 6, 2010

Allie of a Literary Odyssey Today on 20 Questions

This is the feature 20 Questions where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little bit better! Today I want to welcome Allie from the blog Literary Odyssey! Thanks, Allie, for sharing today!






20 QUESTIONS
1. Last book you bought: I bought one of the new Penguin hardcover editions of Alice in Wonderland. It is a beautiful edition (as all are of the new Penguin hardcovers!)
2
. Last book you got in the mail: I ordered a couple of books I am having a hard time locating in my local bookstores: Clarissa by Samuel Richardson and Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyon.
3. The first book you read over and over: When I was really young, I had this book called It Zwibble: The Star-Touched Dinosaur and I absolutely loved it. I still have my copy, but it is a little battered and broken now.
4. Children’s book every child should read: Some of my favorites growing up were The Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder, The Island of Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell and Matilda by Roald Dahl
5. Favorite place to read: in our comfy armchair with either one of the cats nestled with me.
6. A book you bought just for the cover: The last one I bought for the cover (before i started the classics), was The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay. Needless to say, I really didn't like the book, but I learned my lesson. Although, there are a lot of really cool editions for the classics, so I have been purchasing the ones that I like most.
7. Scariest book ever read: I really don't do scary. I am one of those ridiculous people who screams at everything. I slept with water by my bed for weeks after seeing Signs, so I don't purposely read "scary" books. But, I was pretty freaked out in some sections of The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.
8. Most romantic book ever read: I could say Pride and Prejudice, but there are a lot of others I love as well. I'm thinking of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon or Little Women by Louisa May Alcott (if I can call that a romance-I think it is in its own way).
9. Book that changed your life in some way: The first science fiction book I ever read was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and that really influenced me. I also give that honor to The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton, and The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. All of them remind me why I love to read.
10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: Either Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card or Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton.
11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: I have used Cliff's Notes twice in my life. The first time was in ninth grade when we had to read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and I couldn't suffer through it. The second time was in college when we had to read Hard Times by Charles Dickens and again, I couldn't suffer through it.
12. Book you needed the dictionary for: I usually don't use a dictionary unless I am completely lost (which is very rare). I just use context clues.
13. Book you like that no one else seems to: The classics?? I have had conversations with a few old college friends about my project and they don't understand why I am bothering to read just classics. "They are old and stuffy and no one really likes them anyway." You know what? I do!
14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: Anything by Charles Dickens. I'm sorry, but he...erg. Just horrible. *cringes*
15. Number of books you own (you can guess): My books are all cataloged in Excel, so I currently own 1127.
16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): Many. I keep a list to write down titles and authors of things I want to read in the future.
17. Must-have reading accessories: Fingerless gloves and a comfy chair. I have arthritis in my hands, and they start to ache from holding up books, so the gloves help.
18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: I would love to go to Poet's Corner.
19. Top Three Favorite Authors: This is hard, but if it is only three I would have to say Edith Wharton, Orson Scott Card, and Robin McKinley
20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future: I would love to see more bloggers reading adult fiction!

Thank you for participating, Allie!  I noticed I haven't yet read any of your three favorite authors, yet they are all ones that are on my "I've been meaning to get to..." list.  Now I know which Wharton I should start with, too!  I haven't heard of fingerless gloves.  I might have to see if I can get my mother some since she has severe arthritis in her hands and has the same problem.  Thanks for the tip!


Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions next!


~Children's Book Author Ann Whitford Paul (5/13)
~20 Questions Gets Some New Questions! (5/20) (Clarification: Keeping some questions, blending a couple of questions, and adding a couple new ones!)

9 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love fingerless gloves, though my love is purely aesthetic. And I'm all for loving the classics!! I mix my reading up with YA (don't like modern adult, sorry!) but I tend to read 35+ classics every year and theyv'e been my favorites for the last decade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Little House books as a child too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ender's Game is a serious good book...great choice Allie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate Charles Dickens, too. Every book I had to read by him in high school (and we had to read 3), I used Cliff's Notes. And even the CN were terrible. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, 1127! Where do you keep them all? I live in a 2 bed unit with my parnter and I own about 200 and we have literally run out of space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to read "Clarissa' for a literature class in college ... and I would never voluntarily seek that out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I can't believe all your books are catalogued. Only a small fraction of mine are in LT.
    I need an intern for my house

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ender's Game is amazing!!!! I need to re-read that one again and maybe actually read the entire series!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!