This Week's Topic is:
3 Books That Intimidate You
Here is my list:
1. The Tale of Genji by Lady Murasaki
I have actually read part of this ginormous 1200 page book, that is reputed to be the first novel ever written (it was written in the 11th century). However, I feel it is a book I am intimidated by because let's face it focusing on one book is not my strong suit- and this one is the chunkiest of the clunkers! Will I ever finish it? Maybe. I am going to try it again. One day. :)
2. Ulysses by James Joyce
Not only is it a 500 page clunker but it is also such a multi-level literary masterpiece. What if I don't understand it? I need the Ulysses Cliff's Notes.
3. All Russian Literature
Can I just throw an entire category of novels in here? I don't know why, but Russian Lit seems just over my head. I have attempted Crime & Punishment three times and The Brothers Karamazov once, and Anna Karenina once and I haven't been able to finish any of them. I can't keep the names of the people or places straight. I feel like I need an outline just to get past Chapter five of any of them!
So what about you? What books intimidate you? Have you ever attempted to read a book that intimidated you? What about the book intimidates you?
- Write a post on your blog that is a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic above. It can be super short or long and windy. Choose your own M.O. :)
- You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
- You link back to the week's post here on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
- Then you come here and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list!
- There is no obligation to post every single week. Participate when you can!