April 1, 2010

Vasilly Answers 20 Questions

This is 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better! Today I welcome Natasha aka Vasilly of 1330v. Thanks, Natasha, for sharing with us today!



20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought: Actually I bought three at the same time: Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott since I've read it before and loved it, Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder since a philosophy professor at school is requiring only this book for his class, and The Writing Life by Annie Dillard because I haven't read any of her works before.

2. Last book you got in the mail: That would be Please Excuse My Daughter by Julie Klam. I won it in a contest a few months ago.

3. The first book you read over and over: Probably one of the many books from The Baby-Sitters Club series by Ann M. Martin. I read those books over and over again growing up.

4. Children’s book every child should read: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. The first time I read this book, I cried at the ending.

5. Favorite place to read: At my kitchen table. A few semesters ago I started doing my homework at my kitchen table to avoid distractions. Ever since then I love curling up with a book and a cup of coffee in my favorite chair.

6. A book you bought just for the cover: I'm often buying books just for the cover. Even if that means buying a U.K. or Canadian version of a book. Latest cover-addictions: Delicate Edible Birds by Lauren Groff and Anything but Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin.

7. Scariest book ever read: I don't often read scary books so this is a hard question. . . OK, I can't remember!

8. Most romantic book ever read: The Geography of Love by Glenda Burgress.If you had seen me crying while reading that book, you would have swore I just lost a family member.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: East of Eden. Steinbeck puts everything he learned about the big questions that life asks into this book from how is evil created: does it come into this world by birth or by habit to the question of free will. He also writes about his paternal and maternal family. If I was on a desert island, this would be the book I want with me.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: East of Eden.

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: I think it was something by Thoreau or Shakespeare or Samuel Johnson. . .

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: The last book I needed a dictionary for was Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose. I love learning new words.

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: I can't think of any. Usually the books I review on my blog are ones that most bloggers haven't read.

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: I enjoyed Catching Fire, I couldn't gush over it like everyone else did. I love Hunger Games more than Catching Fire though C.F. has the BEST ending!

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): I'm guessing around 600, counting every book in the house including the kids' books. Not counting the kids' books, around 400.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): Are you serious? A good 500 or so. I have an Amazon wishlist, a Goodreads list, an account with Shelfari, plus what's written down in a few notebooks. . . My TBR list is scattered.

17. Must-have reading accessories: An index card, a dictionary, and a pencil. I use index cards because I own tons of them and use them as bookmarks. I'm have a horrible time keeping up with bookmarks.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go To: Maybe travel deeper into Los Angeles. So many books use it as a setting.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: A few of my favorite authors are John Steinbeck,Trina Schart Hyman, Anne Lamott, Barbara Kingsolver, and Jane Yolen. I picked these authors because they are the authors whose books I've read and re-read the most.

20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future: Nymeth from Things Mean A Lot, Chris From Stuff Dreams are Made On, Rebecca from Rebecca Reads


Comments From Rebecca:
Barbara Kingsolver is one of my favorite authors, too. What is your favorite book by her? Mine is The Poisonwood Bible. I have not read Steinbeck's East of Eden yet, but I know I want to get to it one day. L.A. is an interesting literary destination to choose. I would never have thought of it, but you are right that a lot of books take place in the city of angels. I like that your TBR list is scattered into several places- just like mine! I have tried to keep it to one list in MS Word and then I tried to keep it on Amazon Wishlist and then I tried to keep it on a blog and then I tried Goodreads- but it is hopeless. It will forever be scattered, much like my books around my house and my mind- HA!

Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions next! There's a great lineup you won't want to miss!:

~Staci of Life in the Thumb (4/8)
~Kathleen (Callista) of SMS Book Reviews (4/15)
~Michelle of The True Book Addict (4/22)

~Lenore of Presenting Lenore (4/29)
~Allie of A Literary Odyssey (5/6)

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for interviewing me! Scattered TBR lists are great. I end up finding one when I least suspect it. I haven't read The Poisonwood Bible. So many people have said how great it is.

    Rebecca, is it me or does the font get smaller and smaller on the interview?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, yeah, there's something wrong with the font; I'm finding most of the interview is impossible to read, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved The Grapes of Wrath, but I haven't read anything else by Steinbeck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like I need to read East of Eden now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her TBR list sounds like mine! I'm scared to really count but it has to be somewhere around 400...scary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started Bird by Bird and was really loving it, and then somehow got distracted - we must have gone on a trip or something - and it got buried in the pile. But one day I'll definitely get back to it - what a lovely book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry about the font! Not sure why other than the first 2 it seems impossible to read, at least on IE. I will see if I can fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am unable to fix it. The font size is correct when I edit the page. I am sorry I don't know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is small. I had to zoom in 4 times to read it. Great questions and answers though. Can't wait for my turn.

    Rebecca, your source code does show the text a different size later on. Try copying and pasting the entire post into notepad, then deleting it all in the post, then copying and pasting it back. Then change font on or boldness on anything you wanted formatted a certain way. Sometimes when coping and pasting words from an email or document (other than notepad) you copy the code inadvertently. Putting it in notepad and bringing it back will eliminate any weird formatting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could read it so, I'm not feeling quite so old right now! Thanks for leading me to yet another blog to follow! I love the texture of the wallpaper on 1330v!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've tried to read Sophie's World twice...I never made it very far either time. Me and philosophy just don't get along. That's cool that it's a text for school, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really need to read East of Eden, don't I?

    It was lovely to learn a little bit more about you, Vasilly!

    And a PS to Rebecca: I'd love to be featured sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the idea of index cards, I'm always so behind on writing my reviews having something to take notes with here and there might be a good thing!

    Great interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know I'm not the only one with a scattered TBR list! :D And this reminds me that I have to read The Geography of Love, it's been recommended to me so many times. Great answers Natasha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Steinbeck is really awesome!

    Also, gotta love reading with coffee at the table :-)

    Vasilly is supere interesting :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!