April 29, 2010

Lenore Answers 20 Questions!

This is the feature 20 Questions where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little bit better! Today I want to welcome Lenore of Presenting Lenore! Thank you, Lenore, for participating and sharing today!





20 QUESTIONS


1. Last book you bought: I just ordered the third book in Patrick Ness’ Chaos Walking trilogy called MONSTERS OF MEN. In order to get free shipping, I also ordered Laurie Halse Anderson’s FEVER 1793.

2. Last book you got in the mail: Since I live in Germany, my “getting books in the mail” system is rather complicated! In most cases, publishers send to my US address, my dad gathers up the urgent reads, packs them in a flat rate box and sends them over to me a couple times a year. I also pack my suitcase full of books when I when I visit home and bring them back to Germany. The last book my father reported me getting in the US is: FOR THE WIN by Cory Doctorow which I will definitely “import” to Germany to feature in my upcoming Dystopian August theme month. The last book that was sent to me in Germany by a publisher was: LOVE IN A TIME OF HOMESCHOOLING by Laura Brodie. I will be reading and reviewing this very soon.

3. The first book you read over and over: Well, that I can remember…that would be the Illustrated Classic Edition of James Fenimore Cooper’s THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS from Moby Books. I loved that book and read it until it fell apart. A few years ago, I found a copy at a yard sale for 20 cents. Score! I have read the unabridged version too, but I only read it once.

4. Children's book every child should read: Every child? Hmmm…maybe something like MY PICTURE ATLAS by Roger Priddy. I wish more children knew something about other countries in the world.

5. Favorite place to read: In bed. There is just something so cozy about it. Especially with my cats cuddled up next to me.

6. A book you bought just for the cover. I’ve bought quite a few picture books just for the cover. If I like the illustration style on the cover, then I’ll take a chance and hope I like the story too.

7. Scariest book ever read: Probably DEADLINE by Randy Alcorn. In it, three friends are in a car crash, two die and one survives. One of the friends goes to heaven and the other, doesn’t. But “hell” isn’t a devil with a pitchfork. It’s just eternal darkness with no contact with anyone, and that’s scary.

8. Most romantic book ever read: I adored the romance between Beauty and Giles in Sherri Tepper’s novel BEAUTY, a sci-fi retelling of Sleeping Beauty with faerie and other fairy tales mixed in. The romance is far from the focus of the story, but it’s just sooo sad.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: Every book I read has some effect on me. I learn something new and/or my perceptions about something evolve.

10. Book you've re-read the most times: HEART OF DARKNESS by Joseph Conrad. I read it for the first time in high school where I had the most amazing English teacher, Dr. Seewer. I read it again in college and then I’ve read it a bunch more times.

11. Book you needed the Cliff's Notes for: The only Cliff’s Notes I’ve ever read were for Shakespeare’s plays.

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: ELLA MINNOW PEA by Mark Dunn – starting in the later chapters where the vocabulary gets very inventive due to the fact that there are an increasing number of letters of the alphabet characters must avoid using.

13. Book you like that no one else does: Well, I see a lot of hate for the YA novel SWOON by Nina Malkin, which I don’t really get. I loved it! The writing was just so outstanding. And the voice! WOW. But there are a ton of 1 star reviews on Amazon, LibraryThing and GoodReads. It seems to provoke a very strong reaction.

14. Book you don't like that everyone else seems to: OUTLANDER by Diana Galbadon. I like the concept a lot, but there were some elements of the story that were too unnecessarily brutal and sadistic for me.

15. Number of books you own (you can guess): Somewhere north of 1500 at least (in Germany alone – I don’t even want to think of the books I have in storage). Probably only 10% of those are books I’ve already read as I usually pass read books on – unless I really loved them or find them useful in some way.

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): My wish list at Amazon is hundreds of books long by now. That’s where I usually go when I see a book on the blogs that looks really fascinating. Then, when I go on one of my buying sprees, I check to see which ones are my must haves.

17. Must-have reading accessories: A purring kitteh is nice.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go To: A friend of mine has been dying to visit the Moomin theme park in Naantali, Finland. We’re planning to go this July.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: This is tough for me to answer, as I am not really someone who has to read through an author’s entire oeuvre. I love debut novels, so I read a lot of those. But let’s see, in current adult fiction, I really like David Mitchell (for his willingness to experiment with story structure), Jasper Fforde (for his inventiveness and humor) and Lionel Shriver (for her amazing writing). And in current young adult fiction, I have to mention Suzanne Collins (for her HUNGER GAMES trilogy), Mary E. Pearson (for her intelligent YA), and Lemony Snicket (because he makes me smile until my cheeks ache and you can quote him endlessly).

20. Three Bloggers You Want To See Participate In This Feature: I’d like to see more YA bloggers featured, such as Steph Su Reads or Pop Culture Junkie, and maybe a blogging author such as Beth Kephart.


From Becca:
Thank you for participating, Lenore! Your dystopian theme month is awesome! Great idea. I agree with you that children should know more about the world. Not only where they are and what their name is, but about the culture of the countries, too. I love to read cuddled up with my purring cat, too. She loves to curl up in my lap to enjoy the latest selection with me. :) You have mentioned several books I haven't heard of so I am going now to look them up!


Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions next!

~Allie of A Literary Odyssey (5/6)

~Children's Book Author Ann Whitford Paul (5/13)
~20 Questions Gets Some New Questions! (5/20) (Clarification: Keeping some questions, blending a couple of questions, and adding a couple new ones!)

15 comments:

  1. I agree with your must-have reading accessory - it's just not the same without one or both cuddled up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers. I'm so glad I live in Canada where it's easy to get review books.

    I personally DON'T like my purring kitty to be on me when I read. Well actually if she sat on my lap it would be fine but she wants to sit ON the book! Or be in my face, or have me petting her which makes reading harder. LOL

    That scary book does sound scary. That's the worst hell I could imagine.

    Great answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about Lenore! I remember how hard it was to get books in English when we were in France, so I'm sure it's quite a feat for Lenore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also need a cat on my lap when I read. And Lenore has the prettiest cats on the entire internet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lenore is a wonderful YA blogger and I love her blog and her gorgeous kittens!! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I had some kittehs to cuddle with while I read! My dog used to cuddle with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I'm impressed that you've read Heart of Darkness a bunch of times, Lenore! I read it once in CEGEP (equivalent to grades 12 and 13) and couldn't make heads or tails of the story (what was up with all those rivets?). I'm with you on Outlander though. And I'm glad I'm not the only one with a huge library of unread books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I forgot to say that's such a cute photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Rebecca for having such a fun feature! And thanks everyone for stopping by :)

    Avis - I had two amazing professors who really had insight into Heart of Darkness and I wrote two term papers on how light is used in the story. I could chat about it forever. Nerdy I know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed learning more about Lenore! And I agree...cats are essential to a reading life. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked learning about how Lenore gets her books to Germany! And I thought only having one bookstore in my area was bad! It was great to learn more about Lenore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a bad influence, Lenore ... I just ordered Love in a Time of Homeschooling. ;-) Great interview!

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't believe I've ever heard of Beauty before but it sounds like a book I would adore! I loved Outlander but some of the elements throughout the rest of the series bothered me which is why I haven't picked up the latest and I don't really plan on it. The first one was the very best anyways! What a great Q&A!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot believe that you've read Heart of Darkness over and over...I couldn't even get through one reading of it when I had to...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to say what Serena said. Although I'm willing to give it another try. I really liked The Last of the Mohicans, too, but it's been over a decade since I read it last.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!