April 13, 2010

I Should Love Them, But I Just Hate Them

The Book List is just a short and fun meme that allows you to share books and make a list of books!
**Don't forget to vote for the Participant's Choice Topic via the form at the bottom of this post!


This Week's Topic is:

3 Books I Should Love, But Actually Hate

Here's my list:
1. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne:
It's a classic that apparently many people enjoy. I, on the other hand, would rather walk barefoot on burning coals and stick a hot poker through my eye. I'm serious.

2. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins:
It's not that I hate this book, it is more like I didn't really get what the big fuss was about. Maybe it is just not my style. I couldn't get into it either time I tried to read it.

3. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan:
I love reading about other cultures and one of my favorite places to learn about is Asia. This book has come recommended to me I can't tell you how many times. I didn't like it and couldn't even finish it. It seemed slow to me and I didn't connect with the characters at all. I should like this book, but I just didn't.


So what about you? Any books that you feel you should love, or at least appreciate, but you really just can't stand? Inquiring minds want to know! Tell us all about it! Here's how:

  • Write a post on your blog that is a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic above. It can be super short or long and windy. Choose your own M.O. :)
  • You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
  • You link back to the week's post here on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
  • Then you come here and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list!
  • There is no obligation to post every single week. Participate when you can!
Sound fun? Then join in!

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view the entire list of entered links...


(MckLinky is transitioning to Linky Tools and they are still working to iron out the kinks. When I added the code with javascript it didn't work, so I am using the non-javascript method for now. If you still have any problems adding your link, please leave a comment with your link. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.)

Upcoming Topics:
~3 Favorite Eras to Read About
~Participant's Choice Topic! Be sure to vote below for your choice for the topic in 2 weeks. The results will be posted next week!
Just click on it and use the arrow keys to scroll down.


21 comments:

  1. I just loved The Joy Luck Club! Sorry it didn't work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about The Woman in White. I enjoyed it, but didn't LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed, but didn't love Joy Luck Club. I've been wanting to read The Woman in White for so long. Maybe I'll hold off on it for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I feel I should like a book or an author I don't like, I always hope I will discover something to the author's discredit. And then (my thinking goes), I won't need to feel guilty for not liking them anymore. Here's why I don't feel I need to like Hawthorne (it's a good one): He said women shouldn't be writers. He said women writers should be scarified with an oyster shell.

    So, hooray! You are hereby freed from the burden of feeling you should like The Scarlet Letter. YOU ARE WELCOME. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog recently & like the Book List meme a lot. This one is the first I participate in. Of your three "not so lovable" :) books, I actually really liked The Woman in White when I first read it years ago in Finnish & I have it in English in my TBR pile waiting for its turn.

    Greetings,
    Tiina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy- I might try it again one day. It could be that it was a point in life where I couldn't appreciate it or something. Who knows!

    Ronnica- I know a lot of people liked it. It is just one of those things I suppose.

    Avid Reader- A lot of ppl like that book. I couldn't get into it.

    jennysbooks- That's TERRIBLE. Is that true? Ugh. I mean, it does kind of lift the burden of having to like his writing...wow, thanks! :)

    Tiina- Well, welcome! I am glad you are here and that you participated in the meme! I look forward to hopping over to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post! I agree on The Woman in White - everyone else seems to love it but it just didn't grab me.

    thanks for sharing

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm with you on Joy Luck Club, and i'm asian myself. i just couldn't get into it at all.

    another one for me was Anna Karenina. i trudged through 600 of the 1000 or so pages and just gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was right behind you when you mentioned The Scarlet Letter. I thought it was a dreadful book. But I loved your other two!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Burning coals and a hot poker? Really? :-) I had to read The Scarlet Letter in 11th grade, and I could definitely live without reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm drawing blanks ... again.

    But I did like "The Joy Luck Club."

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a fun meme! but I had to modify it a little as I don't usually hate books... (I may dislike some a lot :) So I hope that's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Scarlet Letter was okay. I didn't love it, but I definitely didn't hate it. The Joy Luck Club I thought was really good, although there some parts of it that I didn't like at all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hannah- Thanks for coming by and sharing!

    littlereader- I haven't tried Anna K. yet. Russian lit is a bit daunting to me. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who didn't feel the Joy Luck Club.

    fleurfisher- It could be that I could like them if I tried them again one day, but I know I will never like Scarlet Letter.

    Stephanie- What? I've never exaggerated in my life! Though, it really isn't too much of an exaggeration. I can think of a lot of dreadful things I would rather do than read that book again.

    Jenners- I may have one the Gatsby cover debate, but I think you are winning the Joy Luck Club one!

    Christa- Oh, of course! Scarlet Letter is really the only book I would put under the category of "hate". But it does get passions worked up more to put "hate" down!

    Tasha- I must have read only those parts that you didn't like at all. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Rebecca - listed my three on LinkyTools. There's books I hate and am bored by. A lot of people like them, or say they do. They're classics - except the last one

    Interview with a vampire. very depressing.

    Joy Luck Club was a good movie. You might like it better than the book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really enjoyed The Joy Luck Club as well, though it is not my favorite of Tan's books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is SO MUCH FUSS about Woman in White and I have it on my shelf to read at some point. At least now I won't feel too guilty if I don't love it! To your list I would add The Catcher in the Rye. I liked it but didn't seem why it was a "classic" must read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really liked The Woman in White but it's from my favorite period of literature and all that. The Scarlet Letter? Blech. Good call on that one! (And I've only seen the movie of The Joy Luck Club.)

    ReplyDelete
  19. If it makes you feel any better I'm Asian and I didn't connect with Joy Luck Club either. Granted, my family is Thai so it's a different culture altogether, but so many of the characters in the book were just so cold. Although a bit slow at times, I did find "Saving Fish From Drowning" much more palatable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG Kathleen! I really hated Catcher in the Rye! I forgot all about that book! I don't know if it is because I read it as an adult or if it was just a disappointing book after all the hype, but I just threw the book across the room when I finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I never made it through Joy Luck Club either...it was such a slow read for me that I gave up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!