April 30, 2010

Fairy Tale Fridays: One eye, two eyes, three eyes...


Fairy Tale Fridays
Hosted by Tif Talks Books

The fairy tale this week was the Brothers Grimm's story One-eye, two-eyes, and three-eyes. The story is of 3 sisters, one with one eye, one with 2 eyes, and one with three eyes. Only the mother and two sisters hate two-eyes because she only has two eyes like a common person. They treat her horribly and don't feed her or clothe her as they should, giving her only whatever might be left.

However, two-eyes is given a gift that helps her and even earns the admiration of a prince who marries her. Later her sisters come to her door begging for food because they have run into bad luck and Two-eyes, being the better person, takes them in and gives them food and treats them so well that they repent and regret what they did to her for the rest of their lives.

I think this was an interesting story and a twist on the Cinderella tale. I think it is a story worth reading and you can find it online, too.

8 comments:

  1. I always liked this fairy tale, partly because it's the middle daughter who's the heroine (so rarely happens!). Yay for middle children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the Grimm brother's tale. They are scary but have such great lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading a book called The True Story of Hansel and Gretel, a retelling of the story as a Holocaust tale. the Grimm Brothers didn't imagine that horror!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this story, but the Grimm stories are often trippy!

    http://laughingstars.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard of this before. I'm definitely going to find a copy of it to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for participating last week Rebecca!! Did you have a chance to read my email or visit my post for this tale? I'm curious about your thoughts once you do!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It kinda creeped me out that they none of the girls, even the main character, get actual names.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!