April 14, 2010

Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner


Some bonds can never be broken...

FIRST THE STATISTICS:
BOOK #: 17
CHALLENGES: 100+, ARC Challenge, Countdown Challenge, New Authors Challenge
PUBLISHER: Atria Books
GENRE: Fiction, Women's Fiction
FORMAT/PAGES: Hardcover/360
RATING: 3.5 Stars

Weiner's latest novel is about two friends, Addie and Valerie, who grew up together but have had a falling out over a betrayal in their teenage years. Fifteen years later Valerie shows up on Addie's doorstep with fear in her eyes and blood on her coat. "Something horrible has happened," Valerie tells Addie, "and you're the only one who can help."

This was my first Weiner novel. I had trouble getting into it at first, but after about 75 or so pages I was interested to see where the story went. I admit I did not think it needed as much back story as there was. I skipped a few chapters that were just on Addie and Valerie's relationship growing up. I understood they were friends, how they became friends, and skipped until I got to the part of the betrayal. The back story was in about every other chapter for half the book, so I read every other chapter for a while.

The story of the betrayal and the modern story were entertaining. I liked the way it was wrapped up in the end. I liked the character of Jordan, who was a cop involved in the story and who falls for Addie. Sometimes though his thoughts and comments seem unrealistic, but maybe that's my cynicism talking. I liked Addie. I thought she was a very well-developed character.

Overall, it wasn't one of my favorite books, but I thought for chick lit it was an adventurous and entertaining story.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't read her though many of my friends have and say the same thing. Pretty good for what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine loves Weiner's work and I read one of them when she pushed it on me. I felt the same way about it as you did about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read her either and I guess I won't rush! Thanks for the honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, what I meant to say is I have not read her...oops. Must be tired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big fan of chick-lit, and this doesn't really sound like the kind of book to change my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to be in the right mood for a dose of chick lit but my book club read another one of Weiner's books (Good in Bed) and I did enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read this yet but I did like her earlier books. Maybe you try one of those. "Little EarthquakeS" and "In Her Shoes" were pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is not her best book. Good in Bed and In Her Shoes are much more fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!