March 8, 2010

Take a Trip Down Memory Lane Book List Style


The Book List is just a short and fun meme that allows you to share books and make a list of books!


This Week's Topic is:

3 Books That Take You Back to High School

My List:

1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald- This book reminds me of high school because it was the first required reading in school that I actually enjoyed. I remember my teacher, Mr. Shaver (who, incidentally, was the best teacher I had in my formative years), assigned the book my junior year. I wasn't sure about the book at first but then I really got into the story of Gatsby and Daisy. I loved Fitzgerald's writing style, the mystery, the era the story was set in. It was the first classic that I read and liked. I may have never picked up a classic for as long as I lived if it were not for Mr. Shaver assigning this book. Because God knows Lord of the Flies wasn't doing it for me. Neither was the book that is #2 on this list.


2. The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne- I hated this damn book. Why must high school English teachers all across America (and elsewhere?) subject their students to this book? Now, the plot is not what the problem is. The whole idea of the scarlet letter that Hester wears and who Pearl's father is are interesting. But Hawthorne's writing is like a sedative. I have tried to rationalize that I hated this book because I didn't understand the period's style of writing, but as I have read others in that time period, and more Hawthorne, I have concluded it is just him.

3. Odd Girl Out: The Hidden Culture of Aggression in Girls by Rachel Simmons- I was a complete dork in high school. I didn't fit into any cliques- I was not cool enough for the "popular crowd" and I was not brainy enough for the "intellectual crowd" and I wasn't nerdy enough for the, well, "nerds." But one reason I did not fit in was because of a silent aggressive act that took place by a few girls that decided they didn't like me for whatever reason. I never fit in after elementary school. I finally switched schools my junior year and found more of a place to fit in. However, this book is such an important one because many people don't realize or don't remember how cruel a girl can actually be. Boys will just fight it out physically, but girls are secretive and cunning whether it is in the form of passing notes or the fashion police.

So what books take you back to high school? Sweet Valley High? The Luxe? Pretty Little Liars? Little Women? To Kill a Mockingbird? Make a list and share it with us!

The way you do this meme is simple:
  • There is a different topic each week, which will be posted here.
  • You write a post on your own blog about the topic. The post will be a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic.
  • You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
  • You link back to the week's post here on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
  • Then you come here and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list!
  • There is no obligation to post every single week. Participate when you can!
Sound fun? Then join in!

Here is the Mr. Linky for your blog post. If it does not work for you, you may leave your link in the comments section, too. I am currently working on making the master list for all of the books we list!



Upcoming Topics:
~3 Books That You Loved as a Child
~3 Favorite Book Covers
~3 Regrettable Book Covers

17 comments:

  1. All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren - I didn't understand it at first, but once I got it, I thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Story - yes the really cheesy one. I read it and my friends read it and we discussed it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Great Gatsby, definitely. I read The Scarlet Letter in middle school... The Age of Innocence, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Old Man and the Sea!
    I love this meme, I just can never come up with three books for the topic so I've never participated. I should be able to come up with 3 books I loved as a child so maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness we never had to read the Scarlet Letter!! But we did read Shakespeare, Dickens, and my favorite To Kill a Mockingbird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this one! Hamlet is one for me (does that count, when it's a play?). It flashes me right back to senior year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gatsby and Scarlet Letter most definitely. Also, Lord of the Flies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lord of the Flies - definitely. I don't know anyone who read it outside of high school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Scarlett Letter. My friends and I cut out letters and wore them during school on our clothes. I can't remember what letter though- it wasn't A. Maybe L for loser!
    Other than that and The Great Gatsby, I can't remember books read in high school...

    ReplyDelete
  10. +JMJ+

    My English teacher let us choose which of six great novels we wanted to read and write about, and The Scarlet Letter was one of them. Like the overenthusiastic reader I was, I got through four and would have liked to make Hawthorne's novel my fifth . . . but I just ran out of time! Even though I know the story, I still feel a bit curious about how the book goes.

    (Oh, it's my first time participating in this meme! =D I'm #2 on the linky.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Scarlet Letter is another one that takes me back to high school. I've been thinking about re-reading it lately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I did not have to read The Scarlet Letter in high school, and unfortunately read it on my own. It stands out in my mind as one of the worst books I have ever read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a dork too!!!

    And I can finally think of something:

    1. Great Gatsby (studied it, loved it, need the one cover with the eyes and dark blue background)
    2. Catch-22 (my dad gave it to read for the first time in high school ... loved it. I'm rereading it in his memory this year)
    3. Danielle Steel -- yes ... shameful shameful shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Let's see:

    1. The Color Purple by Alice Walker -- it won the Pulitzer when I was in high school, and I read it after hearing about the award on the radio. I was in the library, reading, while skipping school.

    2. Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut -- another book I read in the library while truant from school. The only Vonnegut I really liked -- it got me thinking about death, grief, and war.

    3. Lord of the Flies by William Golding -- 'Cuz I was forced to read it in 12th grade AP English (yes, I did go to school sometimes :-P) And because it's a nice allegory for what happens when you incarcerate 1000 hormonally charged teenagers in the same building 6 hours a day. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, I would have used the same ones for my booklist this week! I'll try to pick different ones... but those are good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ps. I'm still scratching my head about that Hawthorne one... and now I'm an English major!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You were a much more accomplished reader in high school than I was. Although I swear I did read smart books for classes--I think I went light outside of school work to break things up. A girl can only read so much Faulkner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!