March 24, 2010

Personal Project: Books and Movies for Dad



As some of you already know, my father passed away from cancer a little over a year ago (actually right after I started this blog). I have been inspired by Jenners’ Reading for Dad Project and I would like to begin a project of my own to honor the memory of my own father and to feel a connection with him again. I have chosen to both read books and watch movies as a way to connect with my father. He was a huge Western fan in both books and movies and so that will be the overriding theme.

I am choosing to read 4 books and watch 5 movies. I am sure John Wayne will be represented, as well as author Louis L’Amour- both favorites of my dad. I am not giving myself a set timeline for this project because that would seem counter-productive to the healing process and connection process. But I am hoping to read or watch something on a pretty regular basis. You can look for updates in my sidebar with all of my challenges.

BOOKS:

1.

2.

3.

4.


MOVIES:

1. The Train Robbers (1973)-

After her husband dies in disrepute, an attractive widow (Ann-Margret) hires gunslinger Lane (John Wayne) to recover a cache of stolen gold and clear her family name. The two set out for Mexico in search of the loot, but the journey proves more perilous than they expected. A mysterious horseman and a violent group of bandidos are also in pursuit of the gold in this shoot-'em-up that will keep you guessing.

2. The Professionals (1966) -

A largely forgotten action-adventure gem, The Professionals teams Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan and Burt Lancaster with more star wattage than most Westerns have ever marshaled. Hired to retrieve kidnapped Claudia Cardinale from bandito Jack Palance, these pros shoot, rope and ride all over northern Mexico. Gorgeous cinematography from Conrad L. Hall (Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) makes The Professionals ideal summertime entertainment.

3.

4.

5.



21 comments:

  1. I have his Lonesome Dove movies if you're interested. I'll watch them with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great project for you, Rebecca. I hope it helps you to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nikki- That is a good idea. Thanks!

    Katy- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a wonderful idea. I send you my support &, I know your dad would be very proud of you
    Keep on rocking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a great idea, and the timing is good. It's probably easier to think of him without wanting to breakdown. And watching movies and reading books in his memory is a great way to honor him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're finding ways to still connect with your dad. It will be tough but rewarding. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful project you're doing. I'll be interested in your progress and how you're feeling.

    Did your Dad like the movie The Unforgiven? Clint Eastwood, etc. It was really good. If he did, you should watch it for this. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda- I hope so! Thank you, friend.

    Cariitoo- Thank you, that is a thoughtful thing to say. :)

    Mardel- Yeah I couldn't do it before now. I have been thinking of it since September when Jenners began hers but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Now is a good time for me.

    Kristen- Thanks for the support!

    Michelle- I think he did. I know I have always wanted to watch that movie. I've only seen parts of it I think, not from beginning to end. I will have to ask my mother if she remembers. Thanks for the support, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely idea! My dad is a big western fan as well, but reading your post I realize he hasn't really been watching them lately.... I'll have to ask him why.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a wonderful project. I bet you'll want to continue with it even after you meet your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds like a wonderful thing for you to do and I hope it brings you closer to your dad's memory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea, Rebecca! Best of luck with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen- Hmm..that is curious. Maybe he needed a change?

    Kathy- I very well may. For now I am just focusing on the project.

    Vivienne- Thanks!

    avisannschild- Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful tribute to your dad. I look forward to reading all about the books you read in honor of him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to keep that connection with your dad!! I love his face...he looks kind!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Are you expecting to like the books your dad liked?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kathleen- Thank you.

    Staci- He did have a great face- when he was smiling! haha He had a pretty scary face when he wanted to. But he was nicer and kinder and more gentle and understanding in the last few years he had so this photo I think captures just that. Thank you!

    Tasha- I will like them, but I doubt I will love them. That has been my experience with Western books and movies so far. But it will be sweet to feel connected to him through them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You look so much like your dad! What a lovely tribute. My husband's dad passed away when our oldest was just a baby and he spent his last months on the sofa with his beloved Western books and Western movies.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww, sweetie. I'm glad you're doing this. I hate that we have this need in common, but I think you'll find it healing in many ways. And I'm happy to finally see his photo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful idea!!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!