March 31, 2010

My Month in Movies: March 2010

ALICE IN WONDERLAND in 3D (2010)
19-year-old Alice returns to the whimsical world she first encountered as a young girl, reuniting with her childhood friends: the White Rabbit, Tweedledee and Tweedledum, the Dormouse, the Caterpillar, the Cheshire Cat, and of course, the Mad Hatter. Alice embarks on a fantastical journey to find her true destiny and end the Red Queen's reign of terror. MY RATING: *** (Did not love the actress who played Alice and the 3D part sucked the majority of the time. Boo.)

OLD DOGS (2009)
Two best friends -- one unlucky-in-love divorcee and the other a fun-loving bachelor -- have their lives turned upside down when they're unexpectedly charged with the care of 7-year-old twins while on the verge of the biggest business deal of their lives. The not-so-kid-savvy bachelors stumble in their efforts to take care of the twins, leading to one debacle after another, and perhaps to a new-found understanding of what's really important in life. MY RATING: *** (Didn't hate it as much as I thought I would, so three stars for that.)

PASSENGERS (2008)
When therapist Claire Summers (Anne Hathaway) starts working with the surviving passengers of a plane crash, she discovers that their individual accounts of the tragedy differ significantly from the airline's official version. As Claire digs deeper for the truth, beyond the airline's sanitized statements, the survivors suddenly begin to vanish, leaving her swimming in a dark abyss of intrigue and conspiracy. MY RATING: *** (Very LOST meets Sixth Sense meets romance. Interesting.)

THE UGLY TRUTH (2009)
Chauvinistic morning show commentator Mike Chadway (Gerard Butler) makes his perpetually single producer (Katherine Heigl) the subject of a series of romantic tests in order to prove the theories on relationships he espouses on his segment called "The Ugly Truth." But will his experiments help her find love, or is she just a hopeless case? MY RATING: **** (Much wittier than I anticipated. Plus Heigl and Butler's characters remind me of me and John.)

TRAITOR (2008)
Tenacious FBI agent Roy Clayton (Guy Pearce) is assigned to pursue Samir Horn (Don Cheadle), an ex-Special Ops soldier who betrayed his country and joined the Al Nathir terrorist organization. But as he closes in, Clayton begins to second-guess Horn's true intentions. Jeff Daniels and Neal McDonough co-star in this intelligent and exciting spy thriller that also examines the beliefs and motivations behind terrorism. MY RATING: ****
(Don Cheadle rocks. End of story. And this story is good.)

BRIDE WARS (2009)
Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway star as Emma and Liv, best friends who become worst enemies when they realize their respective weddings are scheduled on the same day at their dream venue -- the Plaza Hotel. It's no holds barred as these two bridezillas go on a ruthless rampage toward matrimony. The romantic comedy also stars Candice Bergen (as the wedding planner), Bryan Greenberg, Kristen Johnston and Chris Pratt. MY RATING: *** (I really thought Kate Hudson was terrible in this film. And I didn't care for her and Hathaway opposite each other. But it was still an okay film.)

SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON (1960)
After they survive a shipwreck during a storm, a family rafts itself to a deserted South Pacific Island, where they build a tree house and make due with their new environment, which includes marauding pirates. MY RATING: **** (Can you believe I had never seen this before? It was highly entertaining. Favorite part? The race on ostriches and zebras. Oh yeah.)

HEAD OVER HEELS (2001)
Recently dumped Amanda (Monica Potter) moves into a new apartment -- one with a bird's-eye view of stud-muffin Jim's (Freddie Prinze Jr.) digs across the way. Can Amanda and Jim's attraction survive the doubt Amanda harbors that the object of her affection may be … a murderer? Shalom Harlow, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah O'Hare and Tomiko Fraser play Potter's supermodel roommates. MY RATING: ** (
Just SO trite. I could barely finish it.)


THE EDGE OF HEAVEN (2007)

When his father accidentally kills a prostitute, Nejat Aksu (Baki Davrak) seeks out her 27-year-old daughter, Ayten (Nurg├╝l Yesilcay), to make amends. Nejat focuses his search in Turkey, but Ayten, who's part of a closely watched activist group, has fled to Germany. The lives of four Turks and two Germans are soon entwined as a result of circumstances beyond their control in this compelling drama, which earned Best Screenplay honors at Cannes. MY RATING: **** (I really liked how it seemed almost like separate stories at first but how it showed how they were all related, unwrapping it slowly.)

THE EDGE OF LOVE (2008)

Welsh poet Dylan Thomas (Matthew Rhys) is torn between his free-spirited childhood sweetheart, Vera Phillips (Keira Knightley), and his fiery wife, Caitlin MacNamara (Sienna Miller), in this lush, fact-based period drama. Despite their rivalry over Dylan, Vera and Caitlin develop an unlikely friendship, but jealousy enters the picture when Vera marries William Killick (Cillian Murphy) and the threesome becomes a quartet. MY RATING: *** (I liked this period piece, full of love, jealousy, passion, vulnerabilities, and a life of war between countries and between lovers.)

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU (1994)
In this charming romantic comedy based on a true story, a coffee-shop waitress (Bridget Fonda) gets a life-changing tip when a New York cop (Nicolas Cage) comes up short on pocket change and promises her half of his winnings from an unplayed lottery ticket. But when he discovers he's won a $4 million jackpot, his money-hungry wife (Rosie Perez) wants it all -- and she's furious with his plans to share the wealth. MY RATING: **** (Such a good romantic movie. Sigh.)



So what movies have you watched recently? Any recommendations?

14 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of Passengers and I adore Anne Hathaway. Bride Wars was a riot!
    Still have to see The Ugly Truth.....ahh, Gerard Butler

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, the two Disney movies I've seen in 3D haven't been the best (Up and Alice). The one Dreamworks film I saw was perfectly clear the entire time(Monsters v Aliens). I think Disney is doing something wrong! I can't get the entire screen to resolve into something clear no matter what seat or angle I try and I end up leaving feeling a bit nauseated and with a headache. Boo indeed.

    And you had NEVER seen Swiss Family Robinson before? What?!? I watched it for like the 708th and 709th times this last month. It's one of my all-time favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched Alice and The Ugly Truth this month too. You should check out my Monthly Movies post.

    It Could Happen to You is a great movie isn't it? It's sort of like French Kiss in my opinion; the sort of romance that is sweet without being sappy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't go to 3D movies anymore because they leave me woozy and they're just not worth the extra money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was really disappointed in Bride Wars as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Passengers sounds interesting. And I had forgotten about It Could Happen to You. That was a nice romantic movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You watched some pretty good movies this month. I really like this feature because you talk about some that I didnt' even know existed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched 2012 a few days ago (re: John Cusak obsession). I know this will probably shock you, but it was horrible. Like laughably bad. Still, John Cusak is in it, so you have to watch it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great movie list! We saw Alice in Wonderland too: http://aspergiansarah.xanga.com/723260554/alice-in-wonderland-2010/

    I hadn't heard of The Edge of Heaven and The Edge of Love ... they sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a variety of movies! I really liked Traitor. You're right--Cheadle rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw Precious at long last and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From your list here, I've just written down Traitor and It Could Happen to You as the two that would most appeal to me. Swiss Family Robinson I saw as a kid at the Drive In, loved it, although I was shocked that they hadn't followed the book which at 10 or 11 I'd already read about 20 times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I enjoyed Alice more than you did; I loved the actress playing her, but I can see why many people don't! And your descriptions of The Passenger makes me want to finally take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!