March 4, 2010

Jill of Fizzy Thoughts Answers 20 Questions

This is 20 Questions, where we get to know our fellow book bloggers a little better! Today I would like to present to you Jill (aka softdrink) of the blog, Fizzy Thoughts. Thank you so much, Jill, for sharing with us today!

20 QUESTIONS

1. Last book you bought: Despite the fact that I didn't intend to go to the bookstore, last weekend I still managed to come home with Literary Hoaxes and This Book is Overdue. And I've already read This Book is Overdue...it was quite fun.

2. Last book you got in the mail: Venetia Kelly's Traveling Show, by Frank Delaney, which I will be reading for a TLC tour in April.

3. The first book you read over and over: Maybe The Witch of Blackbird Pond? Or Anne of Green Gables? I don't really remember.

4. Children’s book every child should read: I don't think I can answer this...I have a lousy memory, and I don't have any kids, so I'm a little out of the kid lit loop.

5. Favorite place to read: In my big comfy chair in our living room. Preferably with the sound of rain beating against the window behind me.

6. A book you bought just for the cover: The Age of Orphans. And lots more. I'm a sucker for a good cover.

7. Scariest book ever read: The scariest book I ever tried to read was The Enchantress of Florence. Seriously...have you seen the length of Rushdie's sentences??

8. Most romantic book ever read: Most recently, I'd say Star Gazing, because of the way Keir described the world to the blind Marianne.

9. Book that changed your life in some way: Game On Diet, which inspired the snack cake challenge (a group of book bloggers who taunted each other through a round of the Game On Challenge), thereby getting me to start eating healthier and walking daily.

10. Book you’ve re-read the most times: I'm not a re-reader...there are too many new (to me) books out there!

11. Book you needed the Cliff’s Notes for: Lolita

12. Book you needed the dictionary for: Again, Lolita.

13. Book you like that no one else seems to: The Roaches Have No King. Not that people don't like it...more like no one has ever heard of it.

14. Book you don’t like that everyone else seems to love: Fool. Or The Poisonwood Bible. Oh...and Pride and Prejudice!

15.Number of books you own (you can guess): Hmmm, more than 200. But less than 400. I'd go count, but I'd rather read. :-D

16. Number of books on your TBR list (that you have not acquired yet): None...as I have no self-control.

17. Must-have reading accessories: My glasses, unfortunately. And a bottle of water.

18. Literary Destination You Want to Go to: London. Always London.

19. Top Three Favorite Authors: I'm sorry, but that's just impossible. I love them all (I may not love their books, but I love the fact that they write them).

20. Three Bloggers You Want to See Featured in the Future: Melanie at The Indextrious Reader, Helen from Helen's Book Blog and Sarah at what we have here is a failure to communicate.

From Becca: Jill, we have to talk. Two of my favorite books are books you don't like? How can this be? But you would not be the first person to tell me The Poisonwood Bible was not a favorite. I think it is a love it or hate it book. But P&P? I haven't heard that one before, although logically I knew it had to exist. Since you rock in so many other ways, I won't fault you on it. ;) I like your answer to 19. Great response. I had not thought of it that way before. At least they are out there and writing books! (Which is more than I can say for myself, the idea generator with no follow-through type that I so clearly am.) Finally, I would like to say that I don't know why I haven't heard (or remember hearing) of Star Gazing, but now I want to read it!

Check below to see who is appearing on 20 Questions next! There's a great lineup!:

~Michelle of Galleysmith (3/11)
~Trisha of eclectic/eccentric (3/18)

~Natasha (aka Vasilly) of 1330v (3/25)
~Staci of Life in the Thumb (4/1)
~Kathleen (Callista) of SMS Book Reviews (4/8)
~Michelle of The True Book Addict (4/15)


20 comments:

  1. I love reading when there's a nice pouring rain outside. Writing's good that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who reads with a bottle of water instead of say, a cup of hot chocolate, or a glass of wine, is entirely too virtuous for my taste. And I say this as someone who regularly engages in brain switches with this blogger, although unfortunately we have never switched characters, so that I might be virtuous and she wicked.

    By the way, Stargazing, by Linda Gillard, is a UK book but is now available in the U.S. from Amazon. I second the sentiment that it is a great book and also one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tooootally relate to your sentiments on Rushdie. Frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love The Poisonwood Bible, but then I love all of Barbara Kingsolver. I've never even tried to read Lolita so kudos for trying.
    Great question and answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for softdrink! She's such a fun blogger :-) I liked Enchantress of Florence!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't like the Poisonwood Bible either, so Jill is not alone here!

    I do have "the Enchantress of Florence" in my TBR pile and intend to read it one of these days soon :-).

    Fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome questions and answers and I am so excited that she wants me to be on 20 questions :-) I just started to follow this blog and am excited to disover you, Rebecca!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh Sentences by Rushdie should be an entire college course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no desire to read rushdie but I do want to get my hands on a copy of Stargazing!!!! The Game On Diet sounds like a very good time indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this - Jill never fails to make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for hosting me Rebecca! This was fun...and I'm glad I made a few people laugh. I'm sorry to disappoint with my failure to appreciate the classics, but if it's any consolation, I'm convinced Poisonwood Bible will one day be a classic, mostly because of my dislike. :-D Plus, I'm not alone in my loathing. Yippee!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So you read Lolita but you couldn't get through P&P?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond! I haven't thought about that book in a long time, but it was one of my favorites growing up.

    And I have similar feelings about The Poisonwood Bible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. #16 cracks me up! I would be up for your literary trip to London. That would be my destination of choice as well. This is a fun feature!

    Jennifer at The Literate Housewife Review

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was looking forward to her post as I knew it would be amusing and provocative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond, that was such a great book. I think I still have it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rebecca, I am sending you emails about the blog tour but no replies from you. Wondering if I am in your spam folder? Can you email me?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rebecca, I am sending you emails about the blog tour but no replies from you. Wondering if I am in your spam folder? Can you email me?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's hard to imagine there are longer sentences than Ian McEwan's in Atonement. I'm glad I'm not the only one needing dictionary desperately for Lolita. Some authors I don't understand a few words here and there, but Lolita, I could not understand a whole paragraph sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahaha...I love Jill's take on scariest book!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!