March 23, 2010

Favorite Childhood Books on the Book List

The Book List is just a short and fun meme that allows you to share books and make a list of books!




This Week's Topic is:

3 Books That You Loved As a Child (I'm thinking 12 years old and younger for this category.)

My Own List:

1. The Best Word Book Ever by Richard Scarry
I wrote about why on my About Me page.

2. Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman
A baby bird is hatched while his mother is away. Fallen from his nest, he sets out to look for her and asks everyone he meets -- including a dog, a cow, and a plane -- "Are you my mother?" I loved the repetition in this book and read it to myself often after I learned to read. In fact my first children's story I wrote in high school was about a bird named Chirp who fell out of his nest and my mother, who illustrated it for me, drew the bird after the baby bird in this story. It was only a little plagiarized, though. My story was about 3 other unlikely animal friends who encourage Chirp the bird to fly and he does learn to fly once his self-esteem is boosted. Ah, what a heartwarming story. Too bad it was actually terrible, haha.

3. The Babysitter's Club Super Special #1: Baby-Sitters on Board by Ann M. Martin
I loved this book when I was like 10-12. I read it so much I had the thing memorized just about. Even 20 years after the last time I read it I can still remember parts of the book- really random stuff. Like I remember Kristi not believing in the old wives' tale of not swimming after she ate but she had had 2 poached eggs and all this other stuff for breakfast so she was going to wait anyways just to be on the safe side. Yeah, you're darn right it's scary I remember that.

So what books did you love to read (or have read to you) over and over again? What made them so lovable to you?

The way you do this meme is simple:
  • There is a different topic each week, which will be posted here.
  • You write a post on your own blog about the topic. The post will be a list of 3 books pertaining to the topic.
  • You may include photos with your lists, especially if that helps illustrate your point.
  • You link back to the week's post here on Lost in Books in your post so if someone else wants to play, they can find their way here.
  • Then you come here and leave your link in the Mr. Linky so other people can find your post and your list!
  • There is no obligation to post every single week. Participate when you can!
Sound fun? Then join in!

Upcoming Topics:
~3 Favorite Book Covers
~3 Regrettable Book Covers
~3 Books I Should Love, But Actually Hate


17 comments:

  1. I remember reading all the Super Special Babysitter's Club books. The one that stands out is the camp one and one where they were somehow stranded on an island. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 'Are you my Mother' book too! So good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my...I used to LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Babysitter's Club books!!! I so wanted to start my own too. I think that's where my series OCD started...I had to have them all lined up on my shelves and in order.

    I also loved the RL Stine books....scary stuff back then!

    Thanks for the post...brings back good reading memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the Mysteries a little better then the Super-Specials...though I read them all sometime during the Summer of No Cable when I was 14 XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    I'm just getting started on the BSC books, but I really like them. (Thank you used bookstores!)

    And I love Richard Scarry, too! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I loved Are You My Mother. "You are not my mother. You are a Snort!" Totally my favorite line, maybe my favorite line ever from a picture book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I don't know either of those books :-) Great picks, though! I might just look into those...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got PD Eastman represented too. And I love Richard Scarry - I remember reading it to my younger brother again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list! Love Are You My Mother?! Great quote @jennysbooks. I remember Richard Scarry being read to my little sister. I was never into the Baby Sitter Club books but I love the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorites were Charlotte's Web, Little House series, Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden. As I got older my taste started to mature but these are the ones that have stuck with me over the years.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both my son and my nephew loved Richard Scarry books and could spend hours looking over every detail in them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a good question! My favorite, favorite book when I was little was The Alligator Song. I also loved a book called The Ghost Wore Grey when I was between 8 and 10; and between 10-12 my favorite book was probably The Ivy Tree by Mary Stewart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been a while since I took part in this but I love this week's list. of course I had to think hard to limit myself to just three but I think in the end the ones I listed were my most favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are You My Mother is such a cute book -- and such a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now this I can do!!

    1. Richard Scarry for me too ... God, I love that book. I bought it for my son when he was a baby.

    2. The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf ... my son doesn't love it like I do

    3. The Rainbow Goblins ... I'm trying to track down a copy now for my son ... the illustrations are amazing. I loved them. When I get, you can be sure I'll do a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I should have been more creative and pulled out some real oldies but my favorites are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally want to do this one! Would I be completely lame if I did it a month late??? :)

    I have to agree with Are You My Mother? Still love, love, love that book! I went and bought a new copy for my kids because my personal copy was falling apart. And, along the way, I found a great fabric book where you can actually put the baby bird under the mom's wing, in the snort, etc. So fun, fun, fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! Leave a comment and share your thoughts with me!